Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Tom Brown <tb...@michiana.org> on 2008/07/10 03:19:59 UTC

Re: Error installing rivet_0.4.0-1

Massimo:

I waited a long time to reply. I am working with both apache 1.3 and 2.2
on Slackware.

httpd 2.2.8
rivet 0.8.0
slackware 12.1.0

httpd 1.3.41
rivet 0.5.0
slackware 12.0

A friend is working with Debian, apache 2.2 and rivet 0.8.0. Following is my half of a recent correspondence with him. I am encouraging him to let me post his Debian experience for you. We are using Sqlite3 and PostgreSQL with apache-rivet.

> My experience on Slackware 12.1 was different.
>
> INSTALLING RIVET
>
> Following Goose's subversion instructions got me rivet version 0.8.0 files
> in /usr/local/rivet. Then I used these steps to install rivet.
>
> 1. aclocal
>
> 2. autoreconf
>
> 3. ./configure --with-apache-version=2 \
>    --with-tcl=/usr/lib \
>    --with-apxs=/usr/bin/apxs
>
> 4. make
>
> 5. checkinstall --fstrans=no
>
> 6. installpkg rivet-0.8.0-i386-1.tgz
>
> Comments:
>
> Steps 1 and 2 issue warnings, but they can be ignored. I suspect these steps
> do what genconf.sh accomplishes in Goose's protocol.
>
> checkinstall (#5) creates a Slackware .tgz file to install with any of the
> Slackware package management tools. Checkinstall also makes .rpm and .deb
> packages. Installpkg (#6) is the default utility built into Slackware.
> Later, if I want to remove a package, I can use any of the Slack package
> management tools for that too. Removepkg is the default.
>
> CONFIGURING APACHE 2
>
> This turns out easy in Slackware. You can probably eliminate steps 2 and 3
> below and do fine. If you never use index.rvt, you can eliminate step 5 as
> well.
>
> 1. Add "LoadModule rivet_module lib/httpd/modules/mod_rivet.so" to the end
> of the dynamic shared object (DSO) support list.
>
> 2. Make sure your DocumentRoot is set properly. Mine is: DocumentRoot
> "/var/www/htdocs".
>
> 3. Make sure the controls for <Directory "/var/www/htdocs"> are set
> correctly. The defaults work for me.
>
> 4. Add handlers for .rvt and .tcl files to <IfModule mime_module>.
>
>     AddType application/x-httpd-rivet .rvt
>     AddType application/x-rivet-tcl .tcl
>
> 5. Add index.rvt and index.tcl to <IfModule dir_module>.
>
>     DirectoryIndex index.html index.rvt index.tcl
>
> 6. Restart apache with either of the following.
>
>     apachectl restart
>     /etc/rc.d/rc.httpd restart
>
> That's it. Unless you want to use .tcl CGI files, you're done.
>
> Tom
Tom Brown
Free Geek Michiana

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> David, what is your degree of commitment with
> Debian now? Having in testing a .deb automatically
> generated by a slackware utility would offend
> your pride of old-timer skillful Debian
> Project member? :-)

If it works, it doesn't really matter how it's done, although I'm not
sure it would be accepted as an official package with something
hacky...

--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/

http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Error installing rivet_0.4.0-1

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
Thank you Tom,

having his and your feedback would help a lot. Your
direction could be useful for writing an
INSTALL.Slackware file, I will try to write it
down and will sent it to you for a check.

David, what is your degree of commitment with
Debian now? Having in testing a .deb automatically
generated by a slackware utility would offend
your pride of old-timer skillful Debian
Project member? :-)

 -- Massimo

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 21:19:59 -0400, Tom Brown wrote