Posted to user@aurora.apache.org by Renan DelValle <re...@apache.org> on 2018/05/04 18:38:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] State of the Community

Hello all,

I wanted to bring up a few points for discussion with the community. I'd
really like to hear what the community's thoughts are on these issues and
how can resolve them.

1. Lack of participation. This is due to many members moving on from the
project and becoming dormant. More concerning is the fact that our PMC
roster sits at 21 members [1] of which fewer than half have participated in
the project during the last 6 months.

This inactivity has led the voting process for releases to be held up by
the inability to reach the required minimum 3 votes for releases (both
tar.gz and binary). Our latest binary packaging vote has been going on for
more than a month. [2]

With the recent additions of Santhosh Kumar Shanmugham and Jordan Ly to the
Aurora PMC, we hope to mitigate this issue.

It would be fantastic to see some initiative from long contributing members
to make a case for themselves for being considered for committer and/or PMC
membership.

2. Binary packages. While we have been struggling to get enough votes for
making the release official, the voting process has been marked by a lack
of enthusiasm from the community.

I know that many folks are using these packages (including myself), but we
need to hear feedback when we call votes. It is not enough to stand by
silently if everything works; please let us know about it.

As it stands, the enthusiasm (or lack thereof) for binary packages doesn't
justify the overhead involved in releasing them. Therefore I propose that
we drop official binary packages for the next release. This is up for
discussion and I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on this.

An alternative to ending binary packages would be to automate the process
on tar.gz releases, but that would most likely need to be a community
contribution.

3. Version 1.0. I realize this is a touchy subject. While other projects
that were started around the same time as Aurora, such as Mesos itself,
have gone on to make a 1.0 release (indicating the projects maturity), we
have stuck to our 0.X.0 releases.

Aurora is a mature project wether it is labeled 0.X.0 or X.0.0, but I
wanted to bring up for discussion how everyone felt about making our next
release a 1.0 release to reflect the stability and maturity of the project.

That is all from me, if anyone else has any other concerns regarding the
Aurora community, feel free to bring it up in this thread!

-Renan

[1] https://projects.apache.org/committee.html?aurora
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9df9d142408efffd11a1cdc5e4c1e3
67208cf8e618730f7c761b0f35@%3Cdev.aurora.apache.org%3E

Re: [DISCUSS] State of the Community

Posted by Meghdoot bhattacharya <me...@yahoo.com>.
I would love to see roadmaps, potential new features that would bring fresh energy and excitement rather than a maintenance project kind of feel. I think this project brings a lot that more hyped projects do not but stagnation can hurt.

Thx

Posted by Meghdoot bhattacharya <me...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Santhosh Kumar Shanmugham <ss...@twitter.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Santhosh Kumar Shanmugham <ss...@twitter.com>.

Posted by Renan DelValle <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Renan DelValle <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David McLaughlin <dm...@apache.org>.

Posted by David McLaughlin <dm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Renan DelValle <re...@apache.org>.
Thanks for your input Stephan, very much appreciated! Replies inline:

Posted by Renan DelValle <re...@apache.org>.

From: Santhosh Kumar Shanmugham <ss...@twitter.com>
Date: Thursday, 17. May 2018 at 22:13
To: "dev@aurora.apache.org" <de...@aurora.apache.org>