Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Peter Schade <l-...@gmx.net> on 2006/08/24 15:29:45 UTC

[users@httpd] IE6 could crash with HTTP/1.1

Hello

i have some trouble with the recent microsoft patches where the IE6 could
crash on certain websites if he uses http1.1 and compression.

So i would configure my webserver so that he delivers only via http1.0
here is my config from http.conf on a debian sarge server:
BrowserMatchNoCase ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

This brings not the protocol that i want... any suggestions?

Bye Peter

Re: [users@httpd] IE6 could crash with HTTP/1.1

Posted by Peter Schade <l-...@gmx.net>.
> > i have some trouble with the recent microsoft patches where the IE6
could
> > crash on certain websites if he uses http1.1 and compression.
> >
> > So i would configure my webserver so that he delivers only via http1.0
> > here is my config from http.conf on a debian sarge server:
> > BrowserMatchNoCase ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0
force-response-1.0

> > This brings not the protocol that i want... any suggestions?
>
> Complain to Micro$oft.  Get them to fix their browser.  They broke it,
> they can fix it.  You should not have to work around this.  There is a
> hotfix available if you really want to try it.
>
> Or switch to a proper browser!

Me is not the problem.

Tell that our costumers who use AOL....
Browser... ? What is that ???? :(
If they go on such a site the Browser crashes an take the line with it :(

I can't get all this people to fix there browsers....

Re: [users@httpd] IE6 could crash with HTTP/1.1

Posted by "Neil A. Hillard" <ne...@agustawestland.com>.
Hi,

Peter Schade wrote:
> Hello
>
> i have some trouble with the recent microsoft patches where the IE6 could
> crash on certain websites if he uses http1.1 and compression.
>
> So i would configure my webserver so that he delivers only via http1.0
> here is my config from http.conf on a debian sarge server:
> BrowserMatchNoCase ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
>
> This brings not the protocol that i want... any suggestions?

Complain to Micro$oft.  Get them to fix their browser.  They broke it,
they can fix it.  You should not have to work around this.  There is a
hotfix available if you really want to try it.

Or switch to a proper browser!

				Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    neil.hillard@agustawestland.com
AgustaWestland                  http://www.whl.co.uk/

Disclaimer: This message does not necessarily reflect the
            views of Westland Helicopters Ltd.

Re: [users@httpd] IE6 could crash with HTTP/1.1

Posted by Peter Schade <l-...@gmx.net>.
> On 8/24/06, Peter Schade <l-...@gmx.net> wrote:
>

> > So
> > BrowserMatchNoCase ".*MSIE.*" downgrade-1.0
> > should be ok ?
> >
> > How can i see if it works?
>
> If you haven't actually seen the problem yourself in the wild, then
> why are you bothering with this?  MS is not giving enough information
> about the bug to reasonably work around it.
>
> Joshua.

this is the description from microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/923762.mspx

I experince it also with IE but not so often as my customers.

Re: [users@httpd] IE6 could crash with HTTP/1.1

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Peter Schade <l-...@gmx.net>.
Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Peter Schade <l-...@gmx.net>.
> > i have some trouble with the recent microsoft patches where the IE6
could
> > crash on certain websites if he uses http1.1 and compression.
> >
> > So i would configure my webserver so that he delivers only via http1.0
> > here is my config from http.conf on a debian sarge server:
> > BrowserMatchNoCase ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0
force-response-1.0

> > This brings not the protocol that i want... any suggestions?
>
> This seems like overkill.

Any other suggestions on this? would be any other apache config setting
better suited ?

> But anyway, how do you know that Apache is using HTTP/1.1?  The fact
> that HTTP/1.1 is used in the status line does *not* tell you what
> protocol was used in the response.  It simply indicates that the
> server is capable of HTTP/1.1.  And force-response-1.0 will only
> change that if the client uses a HTTP/1.0 request.
>
> Joshua.

Is it possible to force an HTTP/1.0 response even if the client can
HTTP/1.1?

Thanks Peter

Re: [users@httpd] IE6 could crash with HTTP/1.1

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.