Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by ericp56 <er...@twcable.com> on 2009/10/06 18:03:56 UTC

A lock could not be obtained within the time requested

Hello,

I used the monitoring tools to monitor our Geronimo servers.

I've now removed all the servers, views, etc. from the monitoring app.  I
even restarted Geronimo.

However, whenever I run a command on the ArchiveMRCDB, like "delete from
MONITOR.STATISTICS" I get the following SQL exception: A lock could not be
obtained within the time requested

How can I go about figuring out what's wrong?

Eric

Re: A lock could not be obtained within the time requested

Posted by ericp56 <er...@twcable.com>.
I'm using 2.1.3.  There is no stack trace that's useful.  It's just that
there are lock on the table, even there is nothing being monitored, or
listed as being monitored under monitoring:

Running this command in ActiveMRCDB:
select * from SYSCS_DIAG.STATEMENT_CACHE

I see lots of entries like this:
 	SELECT S.statsValueList AS statsValueList, M.statsNameList AS
statsNameList, S.snapshot_time AS snapshot_time, M.mbeanName AS mbeanName
FROM Statistics S, MBeans M WHERE S.snapshot_time=1242698019775 AND
S.mbeanId=M.id

In ArchiveMRCDB, I see lots of these:

INSERT INTO Statistics (snapshot_time, statsValueList, mbeanId) VALUES
(1242875019775,'0,0,0,-1,0,0,0,0,0,0,1',68)

Apparently there's still a flurry of monitoring activity going on.

Posted by ericp56 <er...@twcable.com>.
Now, the disk space is used up by the Derby ArvhiveMRCDB.

Ugh!

Re: A lock could not be obtained within the time requested

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Is there a stack trace with this you could show?  Also, which geronimo
version?

thanks
david jencks

Posted by ericp56 <er...@twcable.com>.
I also found the local monitoring file that contains the stats to be
collected:

var/monitoring/snapshot-config.xml

Everything is running smoothly now:)

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.
That might just be what caused it - removing the server while there
are dependencies on it. Geronimo has a few of these. I usually take
care to not remove anything until I'm sure nothing else depends on it.

So you would probably have to take a manual route and remove the
dependent objects, and start over creating them.

Quintin Beukes

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@gmail.com>.
Eric,

How did you remove all of the servers, views, etc?  Did you use whatever
tools are available in the monitoring system or did you delete them
directly from the database?

If you are trying to completely reset monitoring you could try stopping
the server and then deleting:

$GERONIMO_HOME/var/derby/ActiveMRCDB
and
$GERONIMO_HOME/var/derby/ArchiveMRCDB

Then restarting the server.  But I am not familiar with the nuts and
bolts of the monitoring system.

It sounds like all of the monitors that you set up are continuing to run
and capture data.

Jay