Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by meteor <mi...@iiitb.ac.in> on 2007/08/15 07:56:23 UTC

HELP!!!!!

Hi friends,
as compared to u guys i can call myslef noting but an 'amateur' when it
comes to using BATIK. I was introduced to this wonderful java tool-kit by a
site and want to use it to realize an navigation application that i am
developing. I have the following querries regarding the development using
BATIK and hope to get replies for some if not all:
--> Can i create geographic maps using SVG
--> Is it possible to create such geographic maps with the help of GML data
--> Can i use Batik on a handheld device which runs on the CDC configuration
of J2ME(personal profile).It uses the jre 1.4 (this is FYI).

I hope will get some replies ASAP.

Thanx in advance
meteor

Re: HELP!!!!!

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi Meteor,

meteor <mi...@iiitb.ac.in> wrote on 08/15/2007 11:49:39 AM:

> i expect some more doubts to be solved by you.
>
> --> u have mentioned that the CDC API doesnot include the Graphics2D
class
> (which indeed is right) and hence doesnot allow me to use Batik for my
> application. But can i use some functionalities provided by Batik for my
> application (the ones which donot use the Graphic2D methods)? If yes
then
> what are they and what purpose can they be used for?

   To be honest I don't know all of what is missing from CDC so it is
difficult to point to areas that I can be reasonably sure won't have
problems.

   Also the majority of Batik as a graphics standard implementation
has at least loose ties into Graphics2D.  But some packages that might
be usable would be useful 'batik.parsers' these are parsers for the many
'micro formats' in SVG.  'batik.css' This is our CSS implementation
(to be honest I'm not sure you need a full CSS implementation).
You might be able to use parts of 'batik.dom' but I actually suspect that
package will be a loss (it's our DOM implementation).

> --> Also if Batik cannot be used for CDC based device then can u suggest
> some other java based toolkit for SVG images which can be used for these
> kind of devices????

   I think the popular one is TinyLine but it's not OpenSource.

batik-users-help@xmlgraphics.apache.org

Re: HELP!!!!!

Posted by meteor <mi...@iiitb.ac.in>.
thank u for replying to my querries with such a systematic fashion. but
having solved my doubts regarding using Batik for my hand-held device i