Posted to dev@ranger.apache.org by Velmurugan Periasamy <ve...@apache.org> on 2016/07/15 05:05:18 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Ranger 0.6.0 (incubating) - rc1

Incubator PMC:

Apache Ranger community has voted on and approved a proposal to release Apache Ranger 0.6.0 (incubating).

[VOTE RESULT] thread:
    https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c21a99659362bcd2fef0119d9937b9ab245c99400902cf75a7e77910@%3Cdev.ranger.apache.org%3E

Apache ranger-0.6.0-rc1 release candidate is now available with the following artifacts up for IPMC vote. I kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this incubator release.

Git tag for the release:
    https://github.com/apache/incubator-ranger/tree/ranger-0.6.0-rc1
Sources for the release:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ranger/0.6.0-incubating-rc1/apache-ranger-incubating-0.6.0.tar.gz
Source release verification:
    PGP Signature:
        https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ranger/0.6.0-incubating-rc1/apache-ranger-incubating-0.6.0.tar.gz.asc
    MD5/SHA  Hash:
        https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ranger/0.6.0-incubating-rc1/apache-ranger-incubating-0.6.0.tar.gz.mds
Keys to verify the signature of the release artifact are available at:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/ranger/KEYS

Release Notes:
    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/0.6.0+Release+Notes
Build verification steps can be found at:
    http://ranger.incubator.apache.org/quick_start_guide.html

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until necessary number of votes are reached.
[ ] +1  approve
[ ] +0  no opinion
[ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)

Here is my +1 (non binding).

Thank you,
Vel

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ranger 0.6.0 (incubating) - rc1

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Taking a look myself. Because Git tag names are not immutable (you could
overwrite the tag at any time), please use the commit's SHA1 instead of
the tag name alone in the future.

For reference, at the time which I'm checking, ranger-0.6.0-rc1 points
to 7e3252f305f6e50a2622f302461b44ff5fc4d62f.

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Ranger 0.6.0 (incubating) - rc1

Posted by Velmurugan Periasamy <ve...@apache.org>.
Incubator PMC,

The vote has passed with 6 “+1” votes from IPMC members and no “0” or “-1” votes.

+1 (binding):
- Joe Witt
- Josh Elser
- Alan Gates
- Julian Hyde
- Luciano Resende
- Colm O hEigeartaigh (voted +1 on Dev thread)

+0:
None

-1:
None

I will proceed with official release. Thank you so much for your time, guidance and help in releasing Apache Ranger 0.6.0 (incubating).

[VOTE RESULT] Thread for reference - https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b4214fd6521e5fc08678e9ada82b44dffb2c1cba53df20ecd3f273cb@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

Following JIRAs are open to address the suggestions from IPMC review.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RANGER-1103
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RANGER-1109

Thank you,
Vel

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Compiled, looked around licensing, etc
Nothing much to add other then the ones already mentioned above.

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Ranger 0.6.0 (incubating) - rc1

Posted by Velmurugan Periasamy <ve...@apache.org>.
Incubator PMC,

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

I checked licenses, notices, built on Ubuntu 14.04 JDK 1.8, checked signatures.

I also had fun learning about the WTFPL. I am shocked (SHOCKED!) that
you can use words like that on a software distro.

I concur with all of the issues Josh raised, especially the RAT
exclusions. Keep the RAT exclusions to a minimum (which unfortunately
mean that you can only run RAT on a pristine sandbox), and you won't
accidentally ship stuff like your .idea project.

Also, I ran into https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RANGER-1103, a
couple of undocumented steps in the build process. It must be fixed
before next release.

Julian

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Hi,

*

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
Forwarding my +1 from the dev list.

Alan.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Review focused on the source release mechanics specifically around
build/licensing.

Signature checks out w/SHA512
Hashes all check out
Verified last meaningful commit in specific tag found in source.
Full clean build as per instructions found in readme worked perfectly.

Commentary:
[Minor - for next release - might not be true]
In source LICENSE.  "This product includes json2.js
(https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSON-js - Public Domain license)
by Douglas Crockford".  Should be in notice.  This doesn't alter the
LICENSE but is worth referencing in the NOTICE as per attribution
guidance in http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#can-works-placed-in-the-public-domain-be-included-in-apache-products
which refers to http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a

[Minor - for next release - might not be true]
In source LICENSE.  "This product includes Font Awesome 3.2.1
(http://fontawesome.io/ - SIL Open Font License (OFL) licensee) by
Dave Gandy"
This should be in the NOTICE and not LICENSE.  Such a dependency
(Category B) should only be a binary dependency unless in source
release it meets this exception "small amounts of source that is
directly consumed by the ASF product at runtime in source form, and
for which that source is unmodified and unlikely to be changed anyway
(say, by virtue of being specified by a standard), inclusion of
appropriately labeled source is also permitted" as stated in
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

[Minor - for next release]
In source license several references are made to ASL V2 items.  These
references belong in NOTICE and only if there is information worth
carrying forward.  The Copyright is good to include so those belong in
NOTICE.

[Minor - for next release]
In source LICENSE.  The 'visualsearch license' is referenced.  This
should say something like
  "This product bundles 'VisualSearch.js 0.4.0' which is available
under an MIT style license." then include license text w/copyright.
Or just put it up in the already present MIT license listing you have.

[Minor - for next release]
In source license.  The requires-handlebar-plugin.  As per text at
bottom of readme
(https://github.com/SlexAxton/require-handlebars-plugin)
  Nice job catching the 'handlebars.js' listing and putting under MIT
licenses (with proper copyright) and the 'require.js'.
  But, it appears the require.js listing under MIT licenses has
incorrect copyright.  It should be "Copyright (c) 2010-2012, The Dojo
Foundation All Rights Reserved." as found in
(./security-admin/target/security-admin-web-0.6.0/libs/bower/requirejs/js/require.js)
for example.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.