Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com> on 1996/06/17 00:20:22 UTC

Re: Portability problem in mod_proxy.c

 Lupe. Thanks for the report. I'm sending a patch to restore use of
inet_add() which works for all systems, which the original code didn't.

If you mean the proxy cache, you can use -DEXPLAIN flag. This slows the
proxy somewhat, but is intended for debugging the caching code.

Lupe Christoph liltingly intones:

> I've just installed Apache 1.1b3, and ran into a small portability
> problem. From the comments it seems that you changed that particular
> piece of code from 1.1b2. It's quite possible other people have already
> reported this. I apologise for wasting your time, but maybe then I'm not...
>
> The old code looked like this:
>
>         unsigned long iaddr, inet;
>
>         iaddr = inet_addr(host);
>         inet = inet_network(host);
>         if (iaddr == -1 || inet == -1) return "Bad syntax for IP address";
>         *addr = inet_makeaddr(inet, iaddr);
>
> while it now looks more tidy:
>
>         if (!inet_aton(host, addr))
>             return "Bad IP address";
>
> But, alas, on Solaris 2.x I do not have inet_aton!
>
> I'm not sure why you say "fixed IP address formation in host2addr()"; the
> manpage for the inet_* stuff isn't very clear, and I've never used those
> functions myself. Anyway, whatever you intended to, please find a different
> way to do it.
>
> Thank you for your attention,
> Lupe Christoph
>
> PS: I'm not really sure how to diagnose the caching capability; is there
>     a way to see when the cache is used? I suspect it is not in my setup,
>     because of the transfer speed for large HTTP documents. Looks more
>     like ISDN speed than local access.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
They're only trying to make me LOOK paranoid!