Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Max Berger <ma...@berger.name> on 2007/07/25 13:11:55 UTC

Keyword expansion in SVN

Dear XMLGraphics devs,

I've noticed that some files (notably some test cases) in XMLGraphics do
not have keyword expansion set, others have set it to different values,
sometimes "Author Date Id Revision", sometime just "Id". The only
keyword that is used in the actual sourcecode is "Id", Author, Date, and
Revision are never used.

Here is a little script I use in JEuclid before every commit, but
especially after adding new files [1]:

--- svnproperties.sh ---
#!/bin/bash

find . -name \*.java -exec svn ps svn:keywords "Revision Date Id" '{}' \;
find . -name \*.java -exec svn ps svn:eol-style native '{}' \;

---

The script itself is checked in, with the property "svn:executable" set.

For xmlgraphics, I would suggest to use at least the first command,
probably setting just "Id" to be safe.

The second command sets the eol-style to native, which is was due to a
complaint from a windows user. Xmlgraphics has most files set to native,
but some are missing.

For FOP the situation is similar: Again, Source files have different
keyword expansions set, or none at all, where "Id" is the only one
actually used. Also, most files in fop are set to eol-style native, but
some are missing.

Some files in fop have the property "svn:eol" which doesn't do anything.
This should be removed.

My recommendation: Set keyword expansion to "Id" for all java files,
both in xmlgraphics and fop (preferrably by adding a script such the one
given). Also, set eol-style to native.

For more information on svn properties, see [2]

[1]
http://jeuclid.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/jeuclid/trunk/svnproperties.sh
[2] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html

mfG

Max Berger
e-mail: max@berger.name

--
OpenPG ID: E81592BC   Print: F489F8759D4132923EC4 BC7E072AB73AE81592BC
For information about me and my work please see http://max.berger.name

Re: Keyword expansion in SVN

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.
Hi Max,

Thanks for pointing this out. For sure that should be corrected and I'll
try to do that on the next WE. Some time ago I also noticed that
although they have the svn:eol-style property set, some java files have
wrong line endings (windoze style on my Unix box). Strange.

It also makes sense to set the svn:keywords and svn:eol-style properties
on XML files. If you have XML files in Jeuclid...

Vincent