Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2005/12/09 10:58:55 UTC

2.0 Release

The 2.0 Release is ready.

* Subversion is "tagged" (thats actually a copy).
* Two Installers are available
     * Derby only Installer
     * Multi DB Installer

I believe I now have to wait 8 hours for the binaries to propagate to
the Apache mirrors before making the official announcements.

Thanks to David Le Strat and everyone who participated in an outstanding
effort with the initial 2.0 documentation. They are truly an enormous
improvement over what was there just two weeks ago. Lets keep the
documentation coming, no need to stop now!

Two areas of the documentation, I think, need some immediate attention.
The Download section has:

-> Download
      Installer
      Binaries
      Source

I think the Installer link is fine.
However, the Binaries and Source links confused me a little.
When I click on "Binaries", found beneath "Download", I expect
to navigate to a place where I can download the Binaries (which is
really just the installer). Similiarly for "Source". In fact, I can't
find a way to download the source files.

I think the Binaries and Source links should be moved to a new section,
and that the titles on those pages should reflect this:

-> Building
     From Source
     From Maven Plugin (instead of Binary)

and Download should be changed to

-> Download
      Installer
      Source

David, if you agree, feel free to make these changes.
Otherwise, I'll get them in the morning here with your approval

Finally, I found 2 small problems with the installer, albeit too late:

1. When entering the database field into the multi-installer, the
database field should be a drop down, limited by the set of databases
that we support. I mean, how is someone supposed to know the correct
database names. [mysql, oracle, db2, derby, mssql, ...]

2. With the exception of Derby, you cant run the installer twice against
the same database schema. You have to manually drop the tables yourself
before running the second time.

These two issues should be documented on the Installer page before
making the announcment tomorrow

Re: 2.0 Release

Posted by James Liao <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
Congrats!

- Jian Liao

Re: 2.0 Release

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
No problem.  I will upload tonight.

David.

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/documentation.html

Re: 2.0 Release

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.
Excellent news!!! I am at ApacheCon. I think that the portals project is
going to make a big impression this week. Thanks for all the hard work.

On 12/10/05, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:

> David Sean Taylor wrote:
> > David Le Strat wrote:
> >> The site has been refreshed with the changes we
> >> discussed on the list.
> >
> > I added the source binary links since I couldnt find them anywhere.
> > Hope that was the right thing to do
> >
> > Regarding the release announcements, basically I stopped dead in my
> > tracks when Raphael mildly objected. Waiting to hear back from Ate
> > regarding the TCK per Raphael's request ... Ate has been traveling for
> > ApacheCon so hope get this sorted tomorrow
> I've arrived and just run the TCK again against the official src download.
> 100% passed!
>
> Need to get some sleep now after being travelling almost 24 hours..

Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy
Office: +33 5 56 60 88 02
Mobile: +33 6 20 83 22 62

Re: 2.0 Release

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Re: 2.0 Release

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Re: 2.0 Release

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
The site has been refreshed with the changes we
discussed on the list.

Regards,

David Le Strat

Re: 2.0 Release

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Re: 2.0 Release

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.

Re: 2.0 Release

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Re: 2.0 Release

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.

Re: 2.0 Release

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
I am working on it.

David.

Re: 2.0 Release

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
David,

Re: 2.0 Release

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.

Re: {VOTE} 2.0 Release

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
Ate Douma wrote:
> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>
>> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> Raphael,
>>>
>>> I cant copy out the news.html to the Portals site:
>>> (http://portals.apache.org)
>>>
>>> It has some permissions from you where I cant overwrite the file.
>>> Could you please help?
>>>
>>> I copied out to news2.html
>>> Could you please copy news2.html to news.html and then delete news2.html
>>>

>> I missed this mail sorry.
>>
>> I checked the permissions on the files and you seem to have write access
>> as portals group.
>>
>> Do I still need to copy the html files ?
>>
> No, it has been taken care of a few days ago already.
> I updated the whole of the portals site again as well last Saturday.
>
> Ate

OK, but I don't understand the issue in the first place, the files are
currently set as 664 raphael/portals which should allow anybody from portals
group to update them... *shrug*

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/

Re: {VOTE} 2.0 Release

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Re: {VOTE} 2.0 Release

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.

Re: {VOTE} 2.0 Release

Re: {VOTE} 2.0 Release

Posted by Massimiliano Dess� <de...@yahoo.it>.
+ 1 ?
It's a moment for * 10 compliments !

Beautiful work Jetspeed Team !

Re: {VOTE} 2.0 Release

Posted by Shinsuke SUGAYA <sh...@yahoo.co.jp>.
+1!!

  shinsuke

Re: {VOTE} 2.0 Release

Posted by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@earthlink.net>.
+1

Re: {VOTE} 2.0 Release

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Raphaël Luta wrote:

> I'm +1 on this release provided the it passes the TCK when tested
> by Ate tomorrow.

OK... well I made one announcement on this list already.
Was about to make more announcements on the lists, and make the Bridges
announcement as well. Guess I'll wait until tomorrow to make ALL the
annoucements although I'd really prefer to get it over with now

> Congrats again david and good luck on your tutorial session using
> Jetspeed 2.0 :)

Thanks!

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

Re: {VOTE} 2.0 Release

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@aptiwan.com>.
Le 9 déc. 05 à 21:25, David Sean Taylor a écrit :

> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>> [Apache procedure is to have a formal vote by the PMC to
>> officially  authorize the release,
>> so I hereby call the vote to consider the current built being
>> uploaded as the official
>> Jetspeed 2.0 release.
>> Congrats to all thoses that worked on getting this release out of
>> the  doors: major job done !
> Im sorry.
> Really, someone else should step up as release manager.
> I have a natural born aversion to procedure and authority

I know ;) That's why I stepped in, Santiago being on his way to
San Diego..;

> Guess I missed a step.
> Let me ADD that to the RELEASE PROCEDURE document.
>
> +1 on the release
> Should we vote on the PMC too?

Nope, here is fine.

Re: {VOTE} 2.0 Release