Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Darren Hall <dh...@utrs.com> on 2006/09/12 03:25:53 UTC

connection pooling question (posted correctly)

Hi all.

I'm using Oracle 10g with Tomcat 5.5 and Struts 1.2.9.

I'd like to set up connection pooling for my application. I've read the
Tomcat "HOW-TO" on setting up a JNDI Datasource for connection pooling, but
one thing confuses me - In the how-to, it states "Configure the JNDI
DataSource in Tomcat by adding a declaration for your resource to
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml.

Add this in between the </Context> tag of the examples context and the
</Host> tag closing the localhost definition. If there is no such tag, you
can add one as illustrated in the Context and Host configuration
references..." However, in "The Context Container" documentation referenced
in the above article it states "Please note that for tomcat 5, unlike tomcat
4.x, it is NOT recommended to place <Context> elements directly in the
server.xml file. Instead, put them in the META-INF/context.xml directory of
your WAR file or the conf directory" So where do I place this <Context>
element containing my resource that describes the datasource?

Thanks,

Darren

Re: connection pooling question (posted correctly)

Posted by Leonel <ln...@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/06, Caldarale, Charles R <Ch...@unisys.com> wrote:
> > From: Leonel [mailto:lnunez@gmail.com]
> > Subject: Re: connection pooling question (posted correctly)
> >
> > And the filename for the  ROOT  app  ( / )  would be    ROOT.xml  ?
>
> Yes, if you're putting your <Context> descriptors in the
> conf/localhost/Catalina directory.  You can also put them in context.xml
> inside the META-INF directory of your webapp; in this case you would put
> your webapp in webapps/ROOT (or webapps/ROOT.war).
>
>  - Chuck

Great !
Thanks

--
Leonel Nunez

RE: connection pooling question (posted correctly)

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Leonel [mailto:lnunez@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: connection pooling question (posted correctly)
>
> And the filename for the  ROOT  app  ( / )  would be    ROOT.xml  ?

Yes, if you're putting your <Context> descriptors in the
conf/localhost/Catalina directory.  You can also put them in context.xml
inside the META-INF directory of your webapp; in this case you would put
your webapp in webapps/ROOT (or webapps/ROOT.war).

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: connection pooling question (posted correctly)

Posted by Darren Hall <dh...@utrs.com>.
> And the filename for the  ROOT  app  ( / )  would be    ROOT.xml  ?

I don't know the answer, Lionel, but the logic seems to stand to reason.
*wink*

Re: connection pooling question (posted correctly)

Posted by Leonel <ln...@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/06, David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu> wrote:
> META-INF is if you pack your web app to be a .war file.   Create the
> file in conf/Catalina/localhost but name it after the webapp. If your
> webapp is in the folder foo in the webapps directory, the file would be
> foo.xml. Also be sure your instructions are for tomcat 5.5 as the way
> the JNDI resource definition is written is different from previous versions.
>
> -David

And the filename for the  ROOT  app  ( / )  would be    ROOT.xml  ?

I'm replacing the ROOT app with one of my apps

Thanks

--
Leonel

RE: connection pooling question (posted correctly)

Posted by Darren Hall <dh...@utrs.com>.
Thanks David.
The context element I'm using is taken directly from the examples.
If you can tell just by looking, can you see if this looks correct for
Tomcat 5.5 (otherwise I'll just use trial and error and web searching to
figure it out).

Thanks,

Darren

<Context path="/flc" docBase="flc"
        debug="5" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">

    <Resource name="jdbc/flc" auth="Container"
              type="javax.sql.DataSource"
driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver"
              url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@127.0.0.1:1521:flc"
              username="scott" password="tiger" maxActive="20" maxIdle="10"
              maxWait="-1" removeAbandoned="true"
removeAbandonedTimeout="180"
              logAbandoned="true"/>
</Context>

--
David Smith
Network Operations Supervisor

Re: connection pooling question (posted correctly)

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.