Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Philippe <wa...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/25 09:28:15 UTC

Seed vs non-seed in YAML

Hello,

I'm deploying my cluster with Puppet so it's actually easier for me to add
all cassandra nodes to the seed list in the YAML file than to choose a few.
Would there be any reason NOT to do this ?

Thanks

Re: Seed vs non-seed in YAML

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> Seeds will not auto-bootstrap themselves when you add them to  the cluster.

And having a bunch of nodes that aren't even in the cluster (when you
move them around, decommission etc) seems like a bad idea.

As for amount: I would say definitely have at least RF seeds (for some
reason I haven't heard that recommendation before but it makes sense
to me).

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode on twitter)

Re: Seed vs non-seed in YAML

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Seeds will not auto-bootstrap themselves when you add them to  the cluster.

Normal approach is to have 2 or 3 per DC.

You may also be interested in how Gossip uses the seed list http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ArchitectureGossip

cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer