Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by delbd <de...@oma.be> on 2005/05/13 12:21:45 UTC

Combining several Realms together

Hello everyone,

Can somebody enlight me on the faisability of this in tomcat configuration

- Have user list and user password checked against a JNDI Realm (this is a nis
mapped jndi realm)
- Have user roles checked against another Realm (eg: database realm)

Why this strange thing?

We have a list of user/password/group exported as NIS yellow pages. We want to
use this list as this is the passwords users are using to check their email
and so we know each user already has a password.

However, our J2EE application uses a lot of roles, but access to unix groups
we have is readonly. If i want to add a user to a role , or create a new
role, i have to go thru a lengthly process of asking one of the unix admin to
create them and as those group are used a lot thru several server, he has to
chekc the implcation of adding such groups. This is quite cumbersome when one
day we need to create 7 roles and put about 15 users in each.

Anyway, creating lots of new groups on our unix server is not a possiblity so
me need to store them somewhere else while still getting user list / password
from unix/nis.

Any suggestion?

--
David Delbecq
Royal Meteorological Institute of Belgium