Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Randall Parker <ra...@nls.net> on 2001/08/04 22:12:39 UTC

Will Tomcat 3.3 conf\apps*.xml style work in Tomcat 4?

I see in the Tomcat 3.3b1 that to make deployment configs easier to maintain Tomcat 3.3 supports Context
xml tags in
   apps-<xxxx>.xml
 where xxxx is the name of a war file.

This is really nice. One doesn't have to put info about a bunch of different war files into server.xml.

So can Tomcat 4.0 do this as well?

Why no default conf/web.xml in TC 3.3 ?

Posted by "Ivan F. Martinez" <bl...@ivanfm.com>.
I have in my system a default web.xml that works fine in TC 3.2.x, but it dows not work in 3.3
looking at code the call for readDefaultWebXml() is commented out in WebXmlReader.java

Without conf/web.xml read I can't make default servlet configurations for all contexts like I do today.

The comments in code talk about 3.2 version, but this is the source for the 3.3
---------------------------------
	    // We may read a "default" web.xml from INSTALL/conf/web.xml -
	    // the code is commented out right now because we want to
	    // consolidate the config in server.xml ( or API calls ),
	    // we may put it back for 3.2 if needed.
	    // note that web.xml have to be cleaned up - only diff from
	    // default should be inside
	    // readDefaultWebXml( ctx );

	    File inf_xml = new File(ctx.getAbsolutePath() +
				    "/WEB-INF/web.xml");
	    if( inf_xml.exists() )
		processWebXmlFile(ctx, inf_xml.getPath() );

Re: Will Tomcat 3.3 conf\apps*.xml style work in Tomcat 4?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Randall Parker wrote:

> I see in the Tomcat 3.3b1 that to make deployment configs easier to maintain Tomcat 3.3 supports Context
> xml tags in
>    apps-<xxxx>.xml
>  where xxxx is the name of a war file.
>
> This is really nice. One doesn't have to put info about a bunch of different war files into server.xml.
>
> So can Tomcat 4.0 do this as well?

No.  XML provides mechanisms to combine multiple config files into a
single file (or you can just do this in a wrapper script around the
standard Tomcat startup script), so it's not really necessary for a server
to support it.

On the other hand, Tomcat 4 does support the concept of a <DefaultContext>
to establish default properties for all of the web apps that are not
configured explicitly.  This can often eliminate the requirement for
explicit per-application configuation in the first place.

For example, to make all of your web apps automatically reloadable, you
would stick this inside a <Host> element:

  <DefaultContext reloadable="true"/>

Craig McClanahan