Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2015/01/21 23:13:37 UTC

[VOTE] Recommend retirement for NPanday poddling

This is a vote on recommending a retirement option
for the NPanday poddling.

It comes on the hills of the general consensus of
the NPanday community and its mentors that
retirement is the only viable path at this point:
    http://markmail.org/thread/litmh5wmwbclrk6n
    http://s.apache.org/Efn

NPanday entered incubator on 13th of August 2010:
   http://incubator.apache.org/projects/npanday.html
Up until 2012 the poddling was doing reasonably well,
producing two releases and adding mentors and
committers. Starting from 2012 the community started
to dwindle and no further releases were produced.
Starting from 2014 the poddling really struggled to
regain vitality despite of numerous attempts to help
by Brett Porter and Konstantin Boudnik. The most
visible attempt was in July/August 2014 and resulted in
a spur of JIRA and ML activity, but couldn't be sustained
without direct involvement of Brett and Konstantin:
    https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2014
Starting from September the poddling was back to
the usual levels:
    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-npanday-dev/
    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-npanday-commits/
    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-npanday-users/
while missing Incubator reports:
    https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/November2014
    https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/December2014
and having absolutely 0 commits coming into the repository.
It now appears that that all of the PPMC has been disengaged
and the user community for the project is pretty much non existent.

IPMC has been monitoring the situation all throughout 2014:
   http://markmail.org/message/3sbwfpedosyqzqhn
   http://markmail.org/message/c2fbokolyujki3gl
   http://markmail.org/thread/3ttavmqnq5s6pe74
   http://markmail.org/message/bxelz5ati2hofe4y
and at this point it feels like the most production option would
be to recommend retirement of the poddling. Should
the VOTE pass, Konstantin and myself are volunteering
to take care of the poddling retirement mechanics.

Vote will run for at least 72 hours (to 1/26/14, noon PST).

[ ] +1 Recommend retiring NPanday poddling from the Incubator.
[ ] +/-0 Don't care, but...
[ ] -1 Don't recommend retiring NPanday poddling from the Incubator because ...

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Recommend retirement for NPanday poddling

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
+1

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
+1

- Henry

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

-Taylor

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 6:53 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
> ...We had a vote thread about a month ago: http://s.apache.org/HIF ...

And I voted -1 at that time (http://s.apache.org/Vqa) but my concern
has been addressed, hence my +1 above.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Recommend retirement for NPanday poddling

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
+1 to retire. The half full aspect is that it looks like people are
doing something more useful with their time.

Hadrian

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
+1 [sadly]

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:

> This is a vote on recommending a retirement option
> for the NPanday poddling.

+1 but it looks like a few people are interested in using and working on
that code, please make sure clear instructions are given to them about how
they can fork elsewhere.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Recommend retirement for NPanday poddling

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
+1

It's a cool idea, but the technology direction has gone a different way.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
+1

Retirement isn't a failure.  It is just one of several options.  Not every
projects needs to continue on original form, and not every project needs to
be at Apache.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 6:06 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun Feb 08 2015 at 8:59:21 PM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 5:16 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>> > Hope I didn't throw you off, just wanted to make sure I was doing some
>> > basic shepherding work (since I pulled the NPanday card this month :-)
>>
>> Nah, its cool. I've initiated all the required steps and updated the
>> website.
>> At this point, we're waiting on INFRA to complete work on 4 JIRAs before
>> we can declare the podling to be fully retired.
>>

> Is how I listed it on the report accurate enough (for now)?

Looks fine for now. I'll update it with the latest status once report
is getting close to be finalized.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 5:16 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Hope I didn't throw you off, just wanted to make sure I was doing some
> > basic shepherding work (since I pulled the NPanday card this month :-)
>
> Nah, its cool. I've initiated all the required steps and updated the
> website.
> At this point, we're waiting on INFRA to complete work on 4 JIRAs before
> we can declare the podling to be fully retired.

Is how I listed it on the report accurate enough (for now)?

John

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.