Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/31 00:26:44 UTC

Re: Best server for development and for production?

Juan,

If you use the latest NetBeans (6.8) it support compile-on-save/copy-on-save
for both standard and maven based projects, which works perfectly
(equivalent and better than the deploy on save w/ other app servers) w/
Jetty and T5's live class reloading.

For Tomcat & Glassfish NetBeans support deploy-on-save ; however, that is
slower and somewhat more intrusive .

I remember that there were some hurdles w/ getting T5 apps to work w/
Glassfish in the past due to xml parser conflicts, so there were a few
things to do.

So, to answer the question directly, for me it goes like this : Jetty,
Tomcat, Glassfish

Cheers,

Alex K

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Juan,
>

> If you use the latest NetBeans (6.8) it support compile-on-save/copy-on-save
> for both standard and maven based projects, which works perfectly
> (equivalent and better than the deploy on save w/ other app servers) w/
> Jetty and T5's live class reloading.
>
> For Tomcat & Glassfish NetBeans support deploy-on-save ; however, that is
> slower and somewhat more intrusive .
>
> I remember that there were some hurdles w/ getting T5 apps to work w/
> Glassfish in the past due to xml parser conflicts, so there were a few
> things to do.

Yes, though the 5.2 code reverts to using the standard, available SAX
(not StAX) parser.

> So, to answer the question directly, for me it goes like this : Jetty,
> Tomcat, Glassfish
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex K
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Toby Hobson <to...@googlemail.com>wrote:
>
>> For development I use jetty along with JRebel. Jetty, JRebel and T5's
>> dynamic class reloading make a perfect combination ... I can change pages,
>> components, model objects, even spring beans on the fly. For production I
>> used to deploy on Tomcat or Weblogic although I've recently moved across to
>> Glassfish and have been very happy so far. Incidentally we don't bother
>> with
>> the various appserver plugin's for IDEs ... running weblogic/glassfish on a
>> development machine seems crazy to me ... that's what the staging/test
>> environment is for!
>>
>> Toby
>>
>> 2009/11/18 Juan E. Maya <ma...@gmail.com>
>>
>> > I use tomcat with the sysdeo plugin
>> > (http://www.eclipsetotale.com/tomcatPlugin.html), although as pointed
>> > out by Tiago tapestry reduces the need of deploy-on-change, still the
>> > code in the business layer of the application requires a redeploy.
>> > Sysdeo although not perfect, reduces the deploys to changes Hibernate
>> > mappings or when u add new methods to ur classes (Non-Managed by
>> > tapestry)
>> >
>> > I have never used glassfish so i couldn;t say how they compare
>> >
>> > U could also check JRebel (http://www.zeroturnaround.com/jrebel/) for
>> > a more robust solution

>> actually)

>> supplied