Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org> on 2010/10/26 08:09:37 UTC

Keeping "qt" parameter in distributed search

I have a request handler with a qt of "lbcheck" so that load balancer
healthchecks, which happen every five seconds, do not skew my query
statistics.

I've recently modified the way i do my load balancing, which required
that I add a shards parameter to my PingRequestHandler.  The ping
handler includes the qt parameter set to lbcheck, but when it is
distributed to the shards, this gets lost, and it uses the standard
handler.  Now my broker core is the only one with correct statistics.

Is there any way to preserve qt in a distributed search so this doesn't
happen?  I am using Solr 1.4.1, but we are upgrading to 3.1-dev very soon.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Keeping "qt" parameter in distributed search

Posted by Shawn Heisey <el...@elyograg.org>.
On 10/28/2010 12:02 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> I'm not very knowledgeable about how distributed searching deals with
> request handlers, url paths, and the qt param (i have no idea why the
> exact same handler isn't propograted to the remote shards by default -- i
> thought it was, but your email suggests that it isn't) but i have seen a
> "shards.qt" param mentioned on the list and in some tests.
>
> It doesn't appear to be documented on the wiki anywhere, but you may want
> to search for it and see if it helps your situation.

Thank you, Hoss, that was the secret ingredient!  It looks much better now.

Re: Keeping "qt" parameter in distributed search

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Is there any way to preserve qt in a distributed search so this doesn't
: happen?  I am using Solr 1.4.1, but we are upgrading to 3.1-dev very soon.

I'm not very knowledgeable about how distributed searching deals with
request handlers, url paths, and the qt param (i have no idea why the
exact same handler isn't propograted to the remote shards by default -- i
thought it was, but your email suggests that it isn't) but i have seen a
"shards.qt" param mentioned on the list and in some tests.

It doesn't appear to be documented on the wiki anywhere, but you may want
to search for it and see if it helps your situation.

(NOTE: posting your solrconfig.xml handler definitions and the example
ULRs you are trying to load will help people understand the behavior you
are seeing and give better assistence)

-Hoss