Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Kevin Gurney <kg...@mathworks.com> on 2021/01/21 21:47:20 UTC

[MATLAB] Developing a MATLAB Interface for Apache Arrow

Hello All,

MathWorks is interested in collaborating with the rest of the Arrow community to build out a MATLAB interface to Arrow memory. We envision an interface analogous to the other language bindings, with packaged classes and functions like:

  *   arrow.Array
  *   arrow.TableReader
  *   arrow.type.Float64
  *   ...

In the past, several MathWorkers worked with the Arrow community to develop a proof-of-concept MATLAB interface for reading/writing Feather V1 files by leveraging the Arrow C++ libraries. Since then, the Arrow project has evolved considerably, and we'd like to work with the community to expand MATLAB's ability to interoperate with the broader Arrow ecosystem.

Attached to this email is a lightweight design document which lays out a high-level direction for these development efforts. We welcome any and all feedback on this document.

It would be great to move this design document to some place that is more easily accessible and publicly archived for all members of the Arrow community. At first glance, the Arrow Confluence Design Documents area (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Design+Documents) seems like the ideal place. However, if you have other suggestions of how best to collaborate on this document, please let me know.

We are excited to work together with the rest of the Arrow community to make this a reality.

Best Regards,

Kevin Gurney

Re: [MATLAB] Developing a MATLAB Interface for Apache Arrow

Posted by Kevin Gurney <kg...@mathworks.com>.
Hi All,

Just a friendly reminder that today is the soft feedback deadline mentioned in my previous email for providing feedback on the MATLAB interface design doc ( https://mathworks-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/p/kgurney/EcNXJh5S-HBCit-YNL6ZYnEB4Mv9ZPTVEs7a72SWlywIsg ). Please feel free to comment on the design doc with any questions or concerns you have.

As feedback settles, we'll start shifting our focus towards implementation. However, the design doc will continue to remain open to community input. We'll work on migrating it to Markdown so that it can live in GitHub for long term archival purposes and easier collaboration.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Kevin Gurney

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.