Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2012/11/11 14:17:16 UTC

Re: Streamlining new committers info: projects.a.o

Yes, the grand plan for projects.a.o is to have a single place that
provides an overview of all Apache software products (as well as Apache
projects too).  This is an idea that needs some people to help drive it
to both ensure it's updated, as well as to provide a better UI for users.

Imagine having the front pages and categories/search of ohloh,
sourceforge, and Google Code rolled together, but just displaying Apache
projects.  It'd be a huge win to let the public know what we build.

----
David R. and others (a while back) created the projects.a.o code (that
uses a mess of different technologies, including perl and XSLT on a cron
job, which means it's hard to decipher how it works 8-() that actually
scans the DOAPs and generates the website, with various indices.  This
is my main goal - to improve the usability of this site, both with a
nicer UI (with introductions explaining what it is to average users) as
well as with better data (for example, with an improved taxonomy as
suggested below).

Now, actually improving the taxonomy is a two step process, that I'd
love to see energetic volunteers working on:

- Figuring out an XML-compliant way to improve the taxonomy(ies)
available in the DOAPs.  We need a 'good enough' solution, not a perfect
one.

- Working with projects (or simply doing it ourselves and submitting
patches to projects) to actually update all the DOAPs with these
improved taxonomies.  We can't rely on all projects being diligent about
updating their DOAPs - experience has shown, some projects just never
get around to it.

----
Using DOAP files also means we can provide a simple API (or set of
URLs/REST service/whatever) for external entities to come crawl
themselves, if they want to provide their own mapping of Apache
software.  That's one of the reasons that providing a DOAP file is a
branding requirement for all Apache projects.

* A nice-to-have would be a simple set of public instructions for people
to figure out how to scan our set of DOAPs themselves.

Sounds like it was a great ApacheCon, and hoping to get to know some of
you working on projects.a.o!  8-)

- Shane, sadly based in the US without funding to travel these days