Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chris Cioffi <ot...@stopthesanity.org> on 2002/08/29 00:24:15 UTC

[users@httpd] Help: Getting HUGE number of hits from wrong sites

Hi there,

I've been monitoring my access logs for the last several days and have
noticed that I get a HUGE number (20k+/day) of page requests for domains
that have nothing to do with me.

Most of the sites are pr0n related.  I've gone through the DNS records with
dig and I can't figure out why the requests are being sent to me.

Here's a sample line:
stopthesanity.org 24.90.155.12 - - \
    [28/Aug/2002:17:55:14 -0400] \
   "GET http://www.southern-charms.com/accalia/private/members.htm HTTP/1.0"
\
    404 221 "http://anonymous:nobody@nowhere.com@www.southern-\
    charms.com/accalia/private/members.htm" \
    "Mozilla/4.72 ( compatible; MSIE 4.0; Windows NT5.0; DigiExt )"

The requesting IP isn't related to anything on my or my ISPs network
(64.83.*) and dig gives the following southern-charms.com report:

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> southern-charms.com
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      southern-charms.com, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
southern-charms.com.    6d15h30m39s IN A  64.159.87.117

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
southern-charms.com.    5h33m43s IN NS  NS1.CANDIDHOSTING.com.
southern-charms.com.    5h33m43s IN NS  NS2.CANDIDHOSTING.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
NS1.CANDIDHOSTING.com.  11h45m58s IN A  64.159.90.4
NS2.CANDIDHOSTING.com.  11h45m58s IN A  64.159.90.10

;; Total query time: 30 msec
;; FROM: discord.stopthesanity.org to SERVER: default -- 127.0.0.1
;; WHEN: Wed Aug 28 18:19:20 2002
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 37  rcvd: 135

I've done dozen's of digs on various domains.  It's not just coming from a
single hosting company.

If it helps, I've also run an error log report from ScanErr.  It reports
many thousands (100k+) of proxy errors over the last month.  Could this be
caused by a misconfigured proxy server?  Does anyone know of a way I might
backtrack to where this is comming from?

TIA.  This is really cutting into my bandwidth and since I only have a 384k
DSL line I'd like to resolve this issue.  As a last resort I'm considering
requesting new IPs from my ISP, but that would be *very* disruptive.  (I not
only host my own stuff, but I do DNS and mail backup for a few other
companies.)

Chris
--
Chris <ch...@stopthesanity.org>
  Junior Birdman(TM) in training

Re: [users@httpd] Help: Getting HUGE number of hits from wrong sites

Posted by Chris Cioffi <ot...@stopthesanity.org>.
Thanks for the reply.  I verified that I'm at least not a wide open proxy.

Chris
Posted by Anders Widman <an...@tnonline.net>.
> Hi there,

> I've been monitoring my access logs for the last several days and have
> noticed that I get a HUGE number (20k+/day) of page requests for domains
> that have nothing to do with me.

> Most of the sites are pr0n related.  I've gone through the DNS records with
> dig and I can't figure out why the requests are being sent to me.

> Here's a sample line:
> stopthesanity.org 24.90.155.12 - - \
>     [28/Aug/2002:17:55:14 -0400] \
>    "GET http://www.southern-charms.com/accalia/private/members.htm HTTP/1.0"
> \
>     404 221 "http://anonymous:nobody@nowhere.com@www.southern-\
>     charms.com/accalia/private/members.htm" \
>     "Mozilla/4.72 ( compatible; MSIE 4.0; Windows NT5.0; DigiExt )"

This looks like they are trying to use as a proxy server...

> The requesting IP isn't related to anything on my or my ISPs network
> (64.83.*) and dig gives the following southern-charms.com report:

> ; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> southern-charms.com
> ;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
> ;; got answer:
;; ->>>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 4

Posted by Chris Cioffi <ot...@stopthesanity.org>.
Well, I've contacted my ISP to start trying to figure out what's going on
here.

I was running an Apache proxy back to a Zope server, but that config was
straight from the Zope docs and only permited access back to and from the
Zope server on the same box.

Since the volume increase only started in July (I hadn't been paying much
attention to my logs) I don't think this was a historical proxy.

Thanks for the link, tho.  Better than 99% of the requests resulted in
either 404's or 401's.  I had already done something similar to the virtual
host solution suggested, but since that solution looked more elegant I redid
the config for that.

Posted by Koen Vingerhoets <ko...@ubench.com>.
Hi,

hackerz use proxies like yours to stay anonymous.
We had the same problem, until i reviewed the firewall.
In 2 days time, it stopped.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Koen Vingerhoets

***** UBench nv *****
http://www.ubench.com
The information contained in this electronic mail message is privileged and
confidential,
and is intended only for use of the addressee. If you are not the intended
recipient, you
are hereby notified that any disclosure,reproduction, distribution or other
use of this
communication is strictly prohibited.

by reply
transmission and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.

Posted by Craig <cr...@nsutah.com>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.