Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de> on 2007/03/21 15:20:45 UTC

UIMA datapath support for pear files

Currently when creating a pear file it is not possible to set the UIMA
datapath as a defined value. You can create your own custom parameter
that is called
data_path or DATAPATH or UIMA_datapath. But it is not defined how the
UIMA datapath should be named. I would recommend to define:
When a pear file must set the UIMA datapath the datapath parameter is
called: "uima.datapath"

With this definition it is also possible to provide an API at the
current PackageBrowser object that returns the UIMA datapath setting for
the pear file. Currently the PackageBrowser can be used to e.g. retrieve
the custom parameter settings or the classpath of a pear. When adding
the datapath API, pear files that needs the UIMA datapath can be
integrated to UIMA more easily without using assumptions of what might
the the UIMA datapath setting of the pear.

I think the changes are quite simple. We have to update the
documentation so that users know how to set the UIMA datapath and we
have to implement an additional API at the PackageBrowser that search in
the configuration parameters of the PEAR for the "uima.datapath" parameter.

Thoughts or comments?

-- Michael

Re: UIMA datapath support for pear files

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 3/21/07, Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de> wrote:
> Currently when creating a pear file it is not possible to set the UIMA
> datapath as a defined value. You can create your own custom parameter
> that is called
> data_path or DATAPATH or UIMA_datapath. But it is not defined how the
> UIMA datapath should be named. I would recommend to define:
> When a pear file must set the UIMA datapath the datapath parameter is
> called: "uima.datapath"
>
> With this definition it is also possible to provide an API at the
> current PackageBrowser object that returns the UIMA datapath setting for
> the pear file. Currently the PackageBrowser can be used to e.g. retrieve
> the custom parameter settings or the classpath of a pear. When adding
> the datapath API, pear files that needs the UIMA datapath can be
> integrated to UIMA more easily without using assumptions of what might
> the the UIMA datapath setting of the pear.
>
> I think the changes are quite simple. We have to update the
> documentation so that users know how to set the UIMA datapath and we
> have to implement an additional API at the PackageBrowser that search in
> the configuration parameters of the PEAR for the "uima.datapath" parameter.
>
> Thoughts or comments?

+1