Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net> on 2005/07/07 14:16:41 UTC

shared part of project.xml and dist:build-src

Hi,

We have two almost separate projects, which do not depend upon each other.
However, they are released together, have the same issue tracker, share the
same CVS module, the developers are the same etc. So to reflect this, a
project-base was created which contained the common information. The
project.xml of both projects extend the project-base.

The project structure is as follows

|- project.xml (project1)
|- project-base-xml (project1)
|- subdirectory
|             |-project.xml (project2)

so in the project.xml of project2, we have
<extends>../project-base.xml</extends>

This all works well during building, but when maven dist:build-source (in
maven 1.0.2) is executed, the project.xml in the source distribution is
invalid because it extends ../project-base, which is (obviously) not copied
into the source release. Even if I created a pre-goal which would copy it,
the path to it would still be wrong.

Having two totally separated project.xml will certainly lead to a mess
sooner or later because people will tend to update just one project.xml and
forget about the other one. Are there any better solutions to that ?

     Thanks in advance,

             Thomas