Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Christine <ch...@christine.nl> on 2009/08/24 15:08:57 UTC

tutorial

Hi,
I am using the tutorial to get familiar with Jetspeed. I like what I
see. However, maven complains about a number of dependencies, it says
that the pom version is wrong:

[WARNING] POM for 'commons-io:commons-io:pom:1.4:runtime' is invalid. It
will be ignored for artifact resolution. Reason: Not a v4.0.0 POM. for
project commons-io:commons-io at
/home/christine/JetspeedTraining/maven/repository/commons-io/commons-io/1.4/commons-io-1.4.pom
[WARNING] POM for 'org.apache.maven:maven-artifact:pom:2.0.5:runtime' is
invalid. It will be ignored for artifact resolution. Reason: Not a
v4.0.0 POM. for project org.apache.maven:maven-artifact at
/home/christine/JetspeedTraining/maven/repository/org/apache/maven/maven-artifact/2.0.5/maven-artifact-2.0.5.pom
[WARNING] POM for
'org.apache.maven:maven-plugin-registry:pom:2.0.9:runtime' is invalid.
It will be ignored for artifact resolution. Reason: Not a v4.0.0 POM.
for project org.apache.maven:maven-plugin-registry at
/home/christine/JetspeedTraining/maven/repository/org/apache/maven/maven-plugin-registry/2.0.9/maven-plugin-registry-2.0.9.pom

I do have the right jar files, so I copied these to my maven repository
and all's well. Is there anything I can change in the pom file to make
it work properly?

dagdag
Christine

--
dagdag is just a two-character rotation of byebye.

Re: tutorial

Posted by Christine <ch...@christine.nl>.
David Dyer wrote:

> If your error is at startup, which version of Tomcat are you running?

I am running 6.0.20. the tutorial uses 6.0 also.

--
dagdag is just a two-character rotation of byebye.

Re: tutorial

Posted by Christine <ch...@christine.nl>.
David Dyer wrote:
> These look mighty familiar. If I remember right it's a value in the
> jetspeed context file (tomcat
> root>conf>catalina>localhost>yourportalname.xml). When we moved a
> jetspeed 2.1.3 installation from tomcat 5.5. something to 5.5.27 we
> got a very similar error on deployment/startup. The culprit ended up
> being the  useContextClassLoader attribute of the Realm tag being set
> to "false" instead of "true".
The file contains
  <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm"
         appName="Jetspeed"

userClassNames="org.apache.jetspeed.security.impl.UserImpl,org.apache.jetspeed.security.impl.TransientUser,org.apache.jetspeed.security.UserSubjectPrincipalImpl"

roleClassNames="org.apache.jetspeed.security.impl.RoleImpl,org.apache.jetspeed.security.impl.TransientRole"
         useContextClassLoader="true"
         debug="0"/>

where the class names (UserImpl etc) are the ones that Tomcat is
complaining about. I have manually moved the jar files that maven
downloaded to the tomcat lib directory, now Tomcat.... is starting
normally, and jetexpress..... also :-)
Maven is a cool tool but the problem with it is that it uses pom files
that it downloads from elsewhere which may contain errors or version
differences that you can't change.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate :-)

dagdag
Christine

Re: tutorial

Posted by David Dyer <dd...@artifact-software.com>.

Re: tutorial

Posted by Christine <ch...@christine.nl>.

Re: tutorial

Posted by David Dyer <dd...@artifact-software.com>.
For the UserImpl class, when are you seeing the error? On the build or
when you try to start tomcat? I remember seeing an error on both

Re: tutorial

Posted by Christine <ch...@christine.nl>.

Re: tutorial

Posted by Christine <ch...@christine.nl>.
Ate Douma wrote:
> Christine,
>
> I think I found your problem: your default-page.psml contains an
> unknown and undefined element <url>/tutorial</url>.
Actually, I had tried with and without that line, neither worked.

What I found is the following: after deploying my jetexpress-pa project,
I have two directories in the tomcat webapps folder: jetexpress and
jetexpress-pa. What I see in my browser, with the admin portlet, is just
what's in the jetexpress folder. I have manually copied everything from
the jetexpress-pa folder into the jetexpress folder, then everything
shows up properly.

I don't see which pom file makes the portal project deploy to
webapps/jetexpress and not jetexpress-portal while the pa project gets
deployed to webapps/jetexpress-pa.

dagdag
Christine

--
dagdag is just a two-character rotation of byebye.

Re: tutorial

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Christine wrote:
> Ate Douma wrote:
>> By just copying the Tutorial folder into the <demo installation
>> folder>/pages (it is *not* under webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/pages) and
>> run the demo, the folder and the page should show up when you log in
>> as user/user.
> The folder is there, but there's no page in the folder. I have checked
> the file permissions, they are the same as for the other pages.

Christine,

I think I found you problem: your default-page.psml contains an unknown and undefined element <url>/tutorial</url>.
I completely overlooked that while just reading it but it immediately became apparent when I tried your page definition and showed up as a
clear error message in the jetspeed.log:

  ERROR org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.psml.CastorFileSystemDocumentHandler - Could not unmarshal the file
/home/ate/Jetspeed-2.2.0/webapps/jetspeed/../../pages/Public/tutorial/default-page.psml
unable to find FieldDescriptor for 'url' in ClassDescriptor of page{File: [not available]; line: 7; column: 7}

Just remove the <url> element and the page should show up.

Unclear though is how this error didn't show up in your jetspeed.log as it should have.
I still haven't had time to run the tutorial (above test was done against a standard jetspeed demo installation), maybe there is something
wrong in the tutorial setup of the logging configuration.

FYI: one of the recent changes before the Jetspeed 2.2.0 release concerned the logging for which Jetspeed now uses a plain environment
variable pointing to the server logging directory: org.apache.portals.logdir
See also the portal app log4j configuration in WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties
By default, we use standard Apache Portals Applications logging for this, see: http://portals.apache.org/applications/logging/index.html
and for Tomcat the default deployment will setup a Tomcat listener to configure this variable automatically for you.
Maybe something is wrong with this on your installation. You could test this by manually set this environment variable before you start your
app server (Tomcat or otherwise) using -Dorg.apache.portals.logdir=<your logdir, e.g. like $CATALINA_HOME/logs>

Groet,

Ate

Re: tutorial

Posted by Christine <ch...@christine.nl>.

Re: tutorial

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Christine wrote:
> Ate Douma wrote:
>> It can also be helpful to check with the Portal Site Manager portlet
>> (under "Jetspeed Administrative Portlets") where you can see all
>> *loaded* pages (requires admin user/role to access).
> The page is not loaded, it's not visible. I thought I was following the
> tutorial at
> http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/tutorial/03/tutorial-psml.html
> but apparently, I did something different. This is my default-page.psml
> in the tutorial folder in WEB-INF/pages
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <page>
>  <defaults layout-decorator="jetexpress"
>            portlet-decorator="jetexpress"
>            skin="jetexpress"/>
>  <title>JetExpress Tutorials</title>
>  <url>/tutorial</url>
>  <short-title>Tutorials</short-title>
>  <fragment id="tutorial-100" type="layout"
> name="jetspeed-layouts::VelocityTwoColumns">   <fragment
> id="express-101" type="portlet" name="jetexpress-pa::BonjourMonde"/>
>   <fragment id="express-102" type="portlet"
> name="jetexpress-pa::TutorialPortlet2"/>
>  </fragment>
> </page>
>
> I have a folder.metadata in the same folder:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <folder>
>  <title >Tutorial</title>  <metadata name="title"
> xml:lang="fr">Autodidacte</metadata>
>  <metadata name="title" xml:lang="en">Tutorial</metadata>
>  <security-constraints>
>    <security-constraints-ref>public-edit</security-constraints-ref>
>  </security-constraints>
> </folder>
>
> In jetspeed.log there's error messages about a bookmark portlet, nothing
> else. in eht localhost-{todays date} log there's no errors.
> It's just the page "Tutorial" that doesn't show up on my page.
Seems to me you followed the instructions correctly and I don't see anything wrong with the above definitions either.

> As the
> screenshot shows, it should be a link underneath "Public folders".
> So
> either the page and it's portlets are running in a parallel universe, or
> - most likely - I have overlooked something, or the tutorial itself has
> overlooked something.
To be honest, I haven't run the tutorial myself yet with the Jetspeed 2.2.0 release, so it could be something within the tutorial, sure.
But I did just *read* the instructions again and I can't see anything wrong with it.
To be sure however, I will need to actually run it. I don't have time to do so now, but will try this evening.

However, as you had some build problems as well, including corrupted jars etc., it might be useful to validate (just) these files against a
downloadable Jetspeed demo portal installation, see: http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/download.html
By just copying the Tutorial folder into the <demo installation folder>/pages (it is *not* under webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/pages) and run the
demo, the folder and the page should show up when you log in as user/user.
(you'll get error message about unavailable jetexpress-pa portlets but those are to be expected and OK)
If it works there, you tutorial portal build might be somehow further broken...

> Other than this, the tutorial and the documentation are a great way to
> get to know Jetspeed quickly. I like Apache projects.

Thanks :)

Ate

Re: tutorial

Posted by Christine <ch...@christine.nl>.
Ate Douma wrote:
> It can also be helpful to check with the Portal Site Manager portlet
> (under "Jetspeed Administrative Portlets") where you can see all
> *loaded* pages (requires admin user/role to access).
The page is not loaded, it's not visible. I thought I was following the
tutorial at
http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/tutorial/03/tutorial-psml.html
but apparently, I did something different. This is my default-page.psml
in the tutorial folder in WEB-INF/pages

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<page>
  <defaults layout-decorator="jetexpress"
            portlet-decorator="jetexpress"
            skin="jetexpress"/>
  <title>JetExpress Tutorials</title>
  <url>/tutorial</url>
  <short-title>Tutorials</short-title>
  <fragment id="tutorial-100" type="layout"
name="jetspeed-layouts::VelocityTwoColumns">
   <fragment id="express-101" type="portlet"
name="jetexpress-pa::BonjourMonde"/>
   <fragment id="express-102" type="portlet"
name="jetexpress-pa::TutorialPortlet2"/>
  </fragment>
</page>

I have a folder.metadata in the same folder:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<folder>
  <title >Tutorial</title>
  <metadata name="title" xml:lang="fr">Autodidacte</metadata>
  <metadata name="title" xml:lang="en">Tutorial</metadata>
  <security-constraints>
    <security-constraints-ref>public-edit</security-constraints-ref>
  </security-constraints>
</folder>

In jetspeed.log there's error messages about a bookmark portlet, nothing
else. in eht localhost-{todays date} log there's no errors.
It's just the page "Tutorial" that doesn't show up on my page. As the

Re: tutorial

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Christine wrote:
> Ate Douma wrote:
>> I had a similar problem last week and noticed my "broken" poms (and
>> maven-metadata xml files) contained some HTML error status output from
>> the remote repository maven had tried to download from.
>> Somehow, maven sometimes seems not to recognize a bad connection /
>> response and then breaks its own local repository, sigh...
> I found a corrupt jar file which was included in every deploy. Replacing
> that file solved part of the problems.
>
> I hate to keep bugging you guys, is this the right place for questions
> on the tutorial?
Yes it is :)

Like, when I follow the instructions, adding a page to
> my portal and it doesn't show up, how do I find out what's wrong? I
> can't find anything in any of the log files....
This needs more information to be able to help.
For instance: how you are adding a page, using the runtime customizer or by copying a new .psml file into the Jetspeed pages folder?

If the PageManager cannot read the page for some reason (e.g. invalid/incorrect xml structure) it should show up in the jetspeed.log for sure.
However, another reason why a page doesn't show up could be security/constraint related, e.g. did you specify security-constraints, as which
user are you logged in?

Re: tutorial

Posted by Christine <ch...@christine.nl>.
Ate Douma wrote:
> I had a similar problem last week and noticed my "broken" poms (and
> maven-metadata xml files) contained some HTML error status output from
> the remote repository maven had tried to download from.
> Somehow, maven sometimes seems not to recognize a bad connection /
> response and then breaks its own local repository, sigh...
I found a corrupt jar file which was included in every deploy. Replacing
that file solved part of the problems.

I hate to keep bugging you guys, is this the right place for questions
on the tutorial? Like, when I follow the instructions, adding a page to

Re: tutorial

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
I had a similar problem last week and noticed my "broken" poms (and maven-metadata xml files) contained some HTML error status output from
the remote repository maven had tried to download from.
Somehow, maven sometimes seems not to recognize a bad connection / response and then breaks its own local repository, sigh...
Only remedy then is either clearing the local repository or hunt down the offending/broken poms and remove them manually like Randy suggested.

dagdag,

Ate

Re: tutorial

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.