Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Carlos <li...@lpis.com> on 2000/12/12 15:45:28 UTC

linux->NT->MSsqlServer

I am using tomcat in a linux, and my database is in a NT (it is a microsoft
SQL server).
anybody can say me what driver i good to use with this database?
there is any experience in this database from a linux using a JDB driver?
i have see a long list for buying a driver but i dont kown what i must to
buy.
i want to konw what is a good driver, not slow and solid
thanks
carlos

Re: linux->NT->MSsqlServer

Posted by Pier Paolo Bortone <pi...@netengineering.it>.
I'm using jdbc from freetds project.

It's very small, very good and very easy to use (JDBC level 4).

Thanks to freetds development team.

My environment is:

Good components:
Linux (best linux) on intel
apache 1.3.14
tomcat 3.2
jdbc:freetds 0.51

Bad components:
Windows NT4.0
MSSQLServer 7.0

Pier Paolo.

Re: linux->NT->MSsqlServer

Posted by Matt Goss <mg...@rtci.com>.
Carlos,
I ran both drivers against a Microsoft SQL 7 datbase, pulling back a 792 row
table. After 5 times, the Jturbo driver was averaging  700 milliseconds to bring
back the data, and the bea driver was averaging 4000 milliseconds! (This was my
own personal test, no public benchmark)
Matt

Re: linux->NT->MSsqlServer

Posted by Carlos <li...@lpis.com>.

RE: Linux->NT->MSsqlServer

Posted by "G.Nagarajan" <gn...@dkf.de>.
Yes, the atinav driver forces you to use a single statement throughout a
transaction.
And in the freeTDS driver, the transaction is connected with the statement.

How about these type 3 drivers from Merant and others. Has anyone worked
with them?
I did not try them for two reasons. Adding another intermediate layer and
making
things complicated and to avoid one more source of possible errors.

Re: linux->NT->MSsqlServer

Posted by Matt Goss <mg...@rtci.com>.
Ditto...

RE: linux->NT->MSsqlServer