Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Isan Fulia <is...@germinait.com> on 2011/01/18 15:08:35 UTC

Solr Out of Memory Error

Hi all,
I got the following error on solr with m/c configuration 4GB RAM   and Intel
Dual Core Processor.Can you please  help me out.

2011-01-18 18:00:27.655:WARN::Committed before 500 OutOfMemoryError likely
caused by the Sun VM Bug described in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1566; try calling
FSDirectory.setReadChunkSize with a a value smaller than the current chunk
size (2147483647)||java.lang.
OutOfMemoryError: OutOfMemoryError likely caused by the Sun VM Bug described
in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1566; try calling
FSDirectory.setReadChunkSize with a a value smaller than the current chunk
size (2147483647)|?at
org.apache.lucene.store.NIOFSDirectory$NIOFSIndexInput.readInternal(NIOFSDirectory.java:161)|?at
org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexInput.readBytes(BufferedIndexInput.java:139)|?at
org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileReader$CSIndexInput.readInternal(CompoundFileReader.java:285)|?at
org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexInput.refill(BufferedIndexInput.java:160)|?at
org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexInput.readByte(BufferedIndexInput.java:39)|?at
org.apache.lucene.store.DataInput.readVInt(DataInput.java:86)|?at
org.apache.lucene.index.FieldsReader.doc(FieldsReader.java:201)|?at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.document(SegmentReader.java:828)|?at
org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryReader.document(DirectoryReader.java:579)|?at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.document(IndexReader.java:755)|?at
org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexReader.document(SolrIndexReader.java:454)|?at
org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher.doc(SolrIndexSearcher.java:431)|?at
org.apache.solr.response.BinaryResponseWriter$Resolver.writeDocList(BinaryResponseWriter.java:120)|?at
org.apache.solr.response.BinaryResponseWriter$Resolver.resolve(BinaryResponseWriter.java:86)|?at
org.apache.solr.common.util.JavaBinCodec.writeVal(JavaBinCodec.java:143)|?at
org.apache.solr.common.util.JavaBinCodec.writeNamedList(JavaBinCodec.java:133)|?at
org.apache.solr.common.util.JavaBinCodec.writeKnownType(JavaBinCodec.java:221)|?at
org.apache.solr.common.util.JavaBinCodec.writeVal(JavaBinCodec.java:138)|?at
org.apache.solr.common.util.JavaBinCodec.marshal(JavaBinCodec.java:87)|?at
org.apache.solr.response.BinaryResponseWriter.write(BinaryResponseWriter.java:46)|?at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.writeResponse(SolrDispatchFilter.java:321)|?at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:253)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:388)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:765)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:418)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:542)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:938)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:755)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:404)|?at
org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.run(SocketConnector.java:228)|?at
org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:582)|Caused
by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded|
2011-01-18 18:00:27.656:WARN::/solr/ProdContentIndex/select
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Committed
        at org.mortbay.jetty.Response.resetBuffer(Response.java:1024)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.Response.sendError(Response.java:240)
        at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.sendError(SolrDispatchFilter.java:361)
        at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:271)
[...]
2011-01-18 18:04:30.577:WARN::handle failed
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

Thanks,
Isan.

Re: Solr Out of Memory Error

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
I should also add that reducing the caches and autowarm sizes (or not using
them at all) drastically reduces memory consumption when a new searcher is
being prepares after a commit. The memory usage will spike at these events.
Again, use a monitoring tool to get more information on your specific scenario.

Re: Solr Out of Memory Error

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
Bing Li,

Re: Solr Out of Memory Error

Posted by Bing Li <lb...@gmail.com>.
Dear Adam,

Re: Solr Out of Memory Error

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr Out of Memory Error

Posted by Grijesh <pi...@gmail.com>.
By adding more server means add more searchers (slaves) on Load balancer not
talking about sharding.

Sharding is required when your index size will increase the size of about
50GB.

-----
Thanx:
Grijesh

Re: Solr Out of Memory Error

Posted by Isan Fulia <is...@germinait.com>.
Hi all,
By adding more servers do u mean sharding of index.And after sharding , how
my query performance will be affected .
Will the query execution time increase.

Thanks,
Isan Fulia.

On 19 January 2011 12:52, Grijesh <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Isan,
>
> It seems your index size 25GB si much more compared to you have total Ram
> size is 4GB.
> You have to do 2 things to avoid Out Of Memory Problem.
> 1-Buy more Ram ,add at least 12 GB of more ram.
> 2-Increase the Memory allocated to solr by setting XMX values.at least 12
> GB
> allocate to solr.
>
> But if your all index will fit into the Cache memory it will give you the
> better result.
>
> Also add more servers to load balance as your QPS is high.
> Your 7 Laks data makes 25 GB of index its looking quite high.Try to lower
> the index size
> What are you indexing in your 25GB of index?
>
> -----
> Thanx:
> Grijesh

Thanks & Regards,
Isan Fulia.

Re: Solr Out of Memory Error

Re: Solr Out of Memory Error

Posted by Isan Fulia <is...@germinait.com>.
Hi Grijesh,all,
We are having only single master and are using multicore environment with
size of various indexes  as 675MB ,516 MB , 3GB , 25GB.
Number of documents with 3GB index are roughly around 14 lakhs
and with 25 GB are roughly around 7 lakh
Queries are fired very frequently.
ramBufferSize and indexing  are all default settings.

Thanks ,
Isan.

On 19 January 2011 10:41, Grijesh <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On which server [master/slave] Out of Memory ocuur
> What is your index in size[GB]?
> How many documents you have?
> What is query per second?
> How you are indexing?
> What is you ramBufferSize?
>
> -----
> Thanx:
> Grijesh

Thanks & Regards,
Isan Fulia.

Re: Solr Out of Memory Error

Re: Solr Out of Memory Error

Posted by Zach <wa...@yahoo.com>.
I've run into that "GC overhead limit exceeded" messagebefore.  Try:
-XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit to avoid that one; but it basically means you're running
low on memory and turning off GCOverheadLimit may just lead to a real heap space
a few seconds later.

Also, if you have free memory on the host, try using the -Xmx command line
parameter to raise the max amount of memory solr can use. (-Xmx2g for example)

Posted by Isan Fulia <is...@germinait.com>.
Hi markus,

--
Thanks & Regards,