Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Sumit Gaur <su...@optimumalgorithms.com> on 2014/12/29 14:36:50 UTC

Project Life Cycle at Apache Software Foundation

Hi All,

I am new to Open Source Development. I’ve been part of various Java, J2EE, WebServices (SOAP,Rest), Spring based projects. I’ve some questions regarding project life cycle at ASF. Kindly spare some time to answer the following:
How a new project is initiated at ASF.
How the project requirements and the corresponding architecture/design/solution is proposed/decided? Who approves the design and technology stack?
How the development is managed like module or phase divisions?
How resources are managed like which module or task is assigned to which developer/resource? Who takes such decisions?
Being a developer how can I contribute to new and existing developing projects?

Thanks and Regards,
Sumit Gaur

Re: Project Life Cycle at Apache Software Foundation

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Hello,

not sure if this is the right list to discuss global policies, but
there are global policies by the ASF, which you can find here:

  http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
  http://www.apache.org/dev/

and there are project (Apache Commons) specific guidelines here:

  http://commons.apache.org/patches.html
  http://commons.apache.org/releases/index.html

Technical decisions (in the borders of the legal policies of ASF) are
done by the developers. Coordinated on the developer mailing lists of
the different projects (this list for apache commons).

As this is a volunteer organisation you cant really assign resources,
if you set up a new project, people need to come together and
agree on a way to coordinate.

Having said that, it is most likely not a good idea to start a new
large project with no existing source with no experience in the ASF. If
you have a good project idea which fits into the commons realm, you can
certainly start in the "sandbox".

I would suggest you propose and discuss a concrete idea (after reading
all the guidelines above). It is better to give advice based on an
understanding what you want to propose.

Gruss
Bernd

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Welcome Sumit Gaur!

On 2014-12-29, Sumit Gaur wrote:

> I am new to Open Source Development. I’ve been part of various Java,
> J2EE, WebServices (SOAP,Rest), Spring based projects. I’ve some
> questions regarding project life cycle at ASF. Kindly spare some time
> to answer the following:

This is not exactly the best list to discuss this, I guess the community
list would be a better fit:
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/community-dev/>

You may want to read
<http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html> which I think
covers most of your questions about new projects and their governance.

In general, nobody assigns anybody to any tasks, people pick what they
want to work on.  Nobody approves any technology, the project's
community decides what they want to use.

For a new developer coming into the ASF
<http://community.apache.org/newcomers/index.html> may be helpful.
There is a lot of good stuff linked from the main community website.

Feel free to ask if something on the pages I've pointed to is
incomplete, difficult to understand or just feels wrong.

Cheers

        Stefan