Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/12/12 17:36:05 UTC

LogKit targets in webapp

Trying to figure out which log you should look in while trying to track
down errors is kind of a crap shoot with the current names:

root.log
cocoon.log
component.log

These names do not have meaning to an administrator.  Typically, web servers
will separate the log files into something with semantic meaning.  For
instance, Apache HTTPD separates the log files into:

access.log
error.log

The Access.log file has the recorded information of who accessed what and
when.  The error.log file has any error messages from the HTTPD server or
any of it's modules (or CGI scripts).  This is simple and effective.

We should adopt a file naming strategy that makes sense to a user.  The
actual categories that are mapped are "xslt", "root", and "cocoon".  Again,
these are not the best, but they do provide more of an idea of the logger
types.

I would like to see the equivalent of the "access.log" to handle all the
CocoonServlet messages.  This is useful in itself.

I know this is all configurable, but I would like us to lead by example.
For example, provide the following categories:

"core"     - information from the core components
"sitemap"  - information from the sitemap components
"access"   - information from the CocoonServlet class.

With equivalent log files.  In the end, this will prove to be more effective
as you can more authoritatively state which logfile to look in when assisting
others with installation problems.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: LogKit targets in webapp

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Trying to figure out which log you should look in while trying to track
> down errors is kind of a crap shoot with the current names:
>
> root.log
> cocoon.log
> component.log
>
> These names do not have meaning to an administrator.  Typically, web servers
> will separate the log files into something with semantic meaning.  For
> instance, Apache HTTPD separates the log files into:
>
> access.log
> error.log
>
> The Access.log file has the recorded information of who accessed what and
> when.  The error.log file has any error messages from the HTTPD server or
> any of it's modules (or CGI scripts).  This is simple and effective.
>
> We should adopt a file naming strategy that makes sense to a user.

+8498384!

> The
> actual categories that are mapped are "xslt", "root", and "cocoon".  Again,
> these are not the best, but they do provide more of an idea of the logger
> types.

Ok, for 'xslt' and 'cocoon', but that the heck is 'root'?

> I would like to see the equivalent of the "access.log" to handle all the
> CocoonServlet messages.  This is useful in itself.

Agreed.

> I know this is all configurable, but I would like us to lead by example.

Absolutely!

> For example, provide the following categories:
>
> "core"     - information from the core components
> "sitemap"  - information from the sitemap components
> "access"   - information from the CocoonServlet class.
>
> With equivalent log files.  In the end, this will prove to be more effective
> as you can more authoritatively state which logfile to look in when assisting
> others with installation problems.

Go for it!!!

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: LogKit targets in webapp

Posted by Hubert NEOtyk Iwaniuk <hu...@office.ferienwelt.com.pl>.
On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 05:52:16PM +0100, Gerhard Froehlich wrote:
> [...]
I'm user and found /*root,compontn,cocoon*/ very uncomfortable to search
for errors.
As users I think this should be done.

hubert.

Re: LogKit targets in webapp

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Berin Loritsch wrote:

I'd say go for it. I've only thown in an example to show that it is
possible to have multiple log files. I don't have a good feeling for
names so go for it.

Giacomo

RE: LogKit targets in webapp

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.

  Gerhard

"Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma."