Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org> on 2010/04/06 02:37:24 UTC

Vote on 0.20.3.1

Hey devs,

There are a good bunch of fixes in the branch that lots of people
could have used recently. It's hard to tell exactly when 0.20.4 will
be released but I think we need a bug fix release ASAP.

I propose that we tag rev# 919707 (just before the backport of group
commit) and apply a couple of the other biggest fixes that happened
after that:

HBASE-2174 Stop from resolving HRegionServer addresses to names using
DNS on every heartbeat
HBASE-2308 Fix the bin/rename_table.rb script, make it work again
HBASE-2023 Client sync block can cause 1 thread of a multi-threaded
client to block all others
HBASE-2305 Client port for ZK has no default
HBASE-2323 filter.RegexStringComparator does not work with certain bytes
HBASE-2147  run zookeeper in the same jvm as master during non-distributed mode
HBASE-2355 Unsynchronized logWriters map is mutated from several
threads in HLog splitting
HBASE-2358 Store doReconstructionLog will fail if oldlogfile.log is
empty and won't load region
HBASE-2365 Double-assignment around split
HBASE-2087  The wait on compaction because "Too many store files"
holds up all flushing
HBASE-2252  Mapping a very big table kills region servers

We could do without 2308,2305,2147 but the rest is pretty important.
The work would be done at StumbleUpon to generate the RC. What do you
guys think?

J-D

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Could be too.

I forgot to add to the list:

HBASE-2277 Update branch to hadoop 0.20.2

J-D

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I will probably merge in 118c6e5 soon though, but with flushlogentries set to 100 instead of 1 in hbase-default.xml.

   - Andy

> From: Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1
> To: hbase-dev@hadoop.apache.org
> Date: Wednesday, April 7, 2010, 10:30 AM
> For example I have an internal build
> that is current to 0.20 branch but excludes the following
> commits:
>
>   commit 118c6e5ba091ed96b23b74a6523eb14b4bbddc13
>   Author: Michael Stack <st...@apache.org>
>   Date:   Sat Mar 6 22:38:30 2010 +0000
>     HBASE-2298 Backport of "HLog Group Commit" to 0.20 branch
>
>   commit cb11e28f7d15e1c8175aed0faf74834bbc387717
>   Author: Michael Stack <st...@apache.org>
>   Date:   Wed Mar 10 15:20:36 2010 +0000
>     HBASE-2234 Roll Hlog if any datanode in the write pipeline
>     dies
>
>   commit 61b0ac467cc48aed5455ad97044139f3aa33d2d1
>   Author: Michael Stack <st...@apache.org>
>   Date:   Thu Mar 18 23:51:49 2010 +0000
>     HBASE-2283 row level atomicity
>
>   commit 2163795ff6eb868425e1c16d5cefbcf3859cb4c9
>   Author: Michael Stack <st...@apache.org>
>   Date:   Fri Mar 26 17:38:40 2010 +0000
>     HBASE-2340 Add end-to-end test of sync/flush
>
>   commit 63276ee240a9c39e690990213657984d764cb15b
>   Author: Michael Stack <st...@apache.org>
>   Date:   Sun Mar 28 05:26:41 2010 +0000
>     HBASE-2359 WALEdit doesn't implement HeapSize
>
>   commit dfe47eaa91e441a1a4a337f787ee1897aed5b0b2
>   Author: Michael Stack <st...@apache.org>
>   Date:   Sun Mar 28 05:05:22 2010 +0000
>     HBASE-2338 log recovery: deleted items may be
>     resurrected
>
>   commit 2a5618cfe034a2c666869bb284e8e15384b5e10a
>   Author: Michael Stack <st...@apache.org>
>   Date:   Thu Apr 1 06:42:31 2010 +0000
>     HBASE-2338  log recovery: deleted items may be
>     resurrected; 2nd attempt...

[...]

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

  Author: Michael Stack <st...@apache.org>
  Date:   Sat Mar 6 22:38:30 2010 +0000

  Author: Michael Stack <st...@apache.org>
  Date:   Wed Mar 10 15:20:36 2010 +0000

  Author: Michael Stack <st...@apache.org>
  Date:   Thu Mar 18 23:51:49 2010 +0000

  Author: Michael Stack <st...@apache.org>
  Date:   Fri Mar 26 17:38:40 2010 +0000

  Author: Michael Stack <st...@apache.org>
  Date:   Sun Mar 28 05:26:41 2010 +0000

  Author: Michael Stack <st...@apache.org>
  Date:   Sun Mar 28 05:05:22 2010 +0000

  Author: Michael Stack <st...@apache.org>
  Date:   Thu Apr 1 06:42:31 2010 +0000
    HBASE-2338  log recovery: deleted items may be resurrected;
    2nd attempt...

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I think J-D is doing the right thing here.

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
I think you and I can agree that all of those changes that came during
that last month are disruptive, and even tho they are reviewed and
tested we still need to go through some QA. In the mean time, new
comers as well as regulars are hitting the same (fixed in branch) bugs
over and over again.

So to release a new version we need to tag something, we could just
tag 919707 and be done with it but I think there are a couple of fixes
that need to make it to 0.20.4 that were committed after that.
Committing patches to a tag doesn't make sense, it's not a tag
anymore. So to make it clear, I started a branch that people can
commit to whatever they feel like is needed for our next release.

 >  Branching your release branch is... not a good idea.

Sorry but it's _our_ release, and if you think it's not a good idea
please do cast a -1 vote and propose an alternative.

J-D

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

> I agree with Ryan that branching the release branch can get pretty
> confusing. I've only seen a version number like 0.20.3.1 once before, and
> that was for a completely botched release, where the .1 was a very very
> minor fix on top of the first release. In this case, even though there
> aren't any giant changes slated, there are changes that are large enough
> that it seems dishonest to call it a "doubly minor" release on top of
> 0.20.3.

We already agreed to call it 0.20.4 instead of 0.20.3.1

> Regarding the bigger changes we have slated for 0.20 branch (eg durability
> fixes, 2248), why not just call it 0.21 at that point? We've already decided
> that future versions of HBase will be compatible with multiple versions of
> Hadoop, so we can add these major changes for 0.21 and then make 0.22 the
> next major release with replication, mvn, etc?

This is for another discussion, I'd like to end this one first.

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> From: Ryan Rawson
> What happens if we need to patch 0.20.4?

All fixes for 0.20.4 would go in 0.20.5-dev as is typically done unless its an exceptional circumstance.

> And make a new release based on 0.20.4 but in 2 weeks but
> not before the 0.20 branch is ready?
>
> How can we guarantee that this won't happen?

We can't.

So here's the deal:

- We don't want to wait for 0.20.X + HDFS-200 because that will take too long.

- Current 0.20.4-dev has blockers due to recent changes that J-D has volunteered to cherry pick out so we can get a clean release now.

Good enough all things considered?

I think so.

   - Andy

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What happens if we need to patch 0.20.4?  And make a new release based
> on 0.20.4 but in 2 weeks but not before the 0.20 branch is ready?

The though is that we will fix in 0.20.5.  We won't put fixes on the
branch of branch.

> How can we guarantee that this won't happen?

We can't.  We're gambling that 0.20.5 (made from head of the branch)
will be available in time to take over if 0.20.4 has really bad
issues.

St.Ack

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
I like this. With no durability goal, we should be able to hit this in
short order.  HDFS is not ready for the claim as of yet.

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>.

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
If we made a 3rd branch we now have 3 hbase versions with 3 distinct
code lineages.  Will we patch this new 0.20.4 version as bugs come up?
Or will there be a recommendation to move to a wholly new code line?
If branch isn't ready today, why will it be ready in 4 weeks?

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

RE: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>.
I'm +1 on rolling an 0.20.4 RC (not 0.20.3.1) and moving our current 0.20.4 to 0.20.5

I would actually like to see 2248 put into a release ASAP so we can work out any new potential issues sooner than later.

JG

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Re: Vote on 0.20.3.1