Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca> on 2002/12/02 05:01:33 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] A problem with index.html

you need to specify which files are index files for apache to look for.
with a line like:

<IfModule mod_dir.c>
	DirectoryIndex index.html index.php index.php3 index.shtml
</Ifmodule>

you can set up any filename as the index file, including something like
start_site_file.html

Re: [users@httpd] Mod_Proxy

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
Schalk Erasmus wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I have a serious and urgent matter, which I can't seem to resolve myself.
>Could someone please advice?
>
>My problem is that Apache doesn't redirect a specific page (situated on a
>Internal Server) on a public IP, accessible via the net.

Sheesh!  Somebody help me here.

I can't help but notice that you replied to:

and my message?

Your reply has nothing to do with my message.  So, why did you reply
rather than start a new message?  I do have an answer for you.  Read the
message you replied to.

--
gt       kk5st@sbcglobal.net
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---

[users@httpd] Mod_Proxy

Posted by Schalk Erasmus <sc...@prosys.com.na>.
Hi Everyone,

I have a serious and urgent matter, which I can't seem to resolve myself.
Could someone please advice?

My problem is that Apache doesn't redirect a specific page (situated on a
Internal Server) on a public IP, accessible via the net.

Here is my VirtualHost settings - using ProxyPass directive:

<VirtualHost 196.[snip]>
    ServerName [snip]
    ServerAdmin [snip]
    ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/ncci.org.na-error_log
    CustomLog /var/log/httpd/ncci.org.na-access_log common
    ProxyPass / http://10.222.51.2/login
    ProxyPassReverse / http://10.222.51.2/login
</VirtualHost>

The above works fine on the Internal LAN, but fails from outside - since it
tries to connect to a Private IP (which makes sense, but shouldn't Apache
take care of that?).

Maybe I should not use ProxyPass, but something else. Any ideas?

What I'm trying to accomplish, is to use a webmail feature (on a Linux
Cube - over a VPN circuit) from the BSD (Apache) Server.

Any comments or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Regards
Schalk Erasmus
Progressive Systems

Re: [users@httpd] Named based hosting

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
Branna wrote:

>Greetings all:
>
>Can someone help me with this problem? With RH8 and Apache 2.0, I have named
>based hosting setup.  The problem is all quiries to the server by domain
>link to the default page.  However, if I point to www.example.com/index.html
>or www.example2.com/index.html the correct site appears.  Any idea what
>could be causing this problem?
>
>thanks in advance...

<snip>

>Subject: Re: [users@httpd] A problem with index.html
<snip all the rest>

Please do not "reply" when you mean to introduce a new subject or
thread.  MUAs that thread by ID reference will bury your message inside
another thread, and the folks that are in that thread will be pissed by
the interruption.  The people that might be interested in your question
won't see it unless they are following the thread that you broke into.

For some informational reading, try these URLs:

Following instructions in the first URL, and trying google, yields 1.5+
million hits.  The first answer is thus, RTFM:

	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/name-based.html

--
gt                         kk5st@sbcglobal.net
  Nielsen's First Law of Computer Manuals:

RE: [users@httpd] A problem with index.html

Posted by "H. Carter Harris" <ca...@technettn.net>.
I tried that and it gave me a warning message when I brought Apache back up
and told me that the module was already loaded.  I'm going to look for a way
to make sure that the files I am passing to apache are actually the one's
being used.  This problem also sounds a lot like Branna's!

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.

Posted by "H. Carter Harris" <ca...@technettn.net>.