Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/06 15:58:20 UTC

A bit off topic, but...

Sorry to put this on the dev list, but the folks who read this are also some
of the "heavy hitters" on the user list....

I'm seeing questions on the users list of the form "help, it doesn't work",
which then requires people to guess, ask for clarification, etc.  I often
try to grab them long enough to ask for more information and take some of
the load off the folks who really know things, but I'm starting to get
frustrated with the number of really vague posts that require three
back-and-forths before anything useful comes of it.

In, I admit, 2 minutes of looking I couldn't find anything on the SOLR site
about how to use the user's list.

Would it be useful If I created a much gentler (and shorter) version of
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html? If it'd be useful, is it
worth putting on the SOLR website? Or maybe Chris would be willing to put it
on his apache page so we could link to it easily.

My goal here would be to have something welcoming (the above is pretty darn
off-putting, even if it accurately reflects my reactions sometime), but at
the same time conveying that there are things the poster can do to 1> get
answers much more quickly and 2> stop wasting everyone's time (OK, a little
frustration there).

I know my first questions on the Lucene list sure could have used a bit of
etiquette guidance, but I'm not sure I'd have appreciated something in the
tone of the link above. That said, I'm tired of typing the same request for
more information over and over and over.......

Or, someone could say "Do you mean this page <url here>" and I'll just blush
in the privacy of my study....

Whaddya think?

Erick

Re: A bit off topic, but...

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
OK, there's a first cut at this page up on the Wiki, see:

I linked to it off the FAQ, I just added a link from the "Are there mailing
lists for SOLR" section at:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ#Are_there_Mailing_lists_for_Solr.3F

I *think* I got the links right, although it took a few tries. Some of which
I forgot to comment on, sorry 'bout that.

I'm not sure whether it's too long or not. My intention here is to have a
page we can direct people to with some admonition like "please read this and
repost your question". I don't think it should turn into a list of specific
problem solutions. But I can see expanding it with other categories like:
> memory issues
> search performance
> multiple cores
> <fill in your favorite topic here>

With the caveat that for each, all the page should do is identify the
information the poster should include when asking for help rather than
solutions. If we bury the "how to ask" in a thousand lines of possible
solutions, eyes will glaze over....

Best
Erick

Re: A bit off topic, but...