Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2016/10/10 14:58:00 UTC

[VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.2.4 (RC0) is available

The first release candidate for HBase 1.2.4 is available for download at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-1.2.4RC0/

Maven artifacts are also available in a staging repository at:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1155/

Artifacts are signed with my key (0D80DB7C) published in our KEYS
file at http://www.apache.org/dist/hbase/KEYS

The RC corresponds to the signed tag 1.2.4RC0, which currently points
to commit ref

04bd0ec8e4cb2f39e5f787126f9b6645dabf27df

The detailed source and binary compatibility report vs 1.2.3 has been
published for your review, at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-1.2.4RC0/1.2.3_1.2.4RC0_compat_report.html

HBase 1.2.4 is the fourth patch release in the HBase 1.2 line, continuing on
the theme of bringing a stable, reliable database to the Hadoop and NoSQL
communities. This release includes about 30 bug fixes since 1.2.3.
Critical fixes include:

* HBASE-16340 Xerces implementation jars removed (incompatible change)
* HBASE-15984 Given failure to parse a given WAL that was closed
cleanly, replay the WAL.
* HBASE-16721 Concurrency issue in WAL unflushed seqId tracking

The full list of fixes included in this release is available at:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12338116

and in the CHANGES.txt file included in the distribution.

Please try out this candidate and vote +/-1 by 12:00 Pacific Time on
Monday, 2016-10-17 as to whether we should release these artifacts
as HBase 1.2.4.

thanks!
-busbey

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.2.4 (RC0) is available

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Gary:
Take a look at HBASE-15302 where you can find TestWALSplit.java in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12794162/HBASE-15302-branch-1-v1.patch

FYI

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
+1

* checked sigs and sums
* checked source against commit hash
* checked source builds binaries
* spot check of LICENSE/NOTICE looks fine
* compatibility report doesn't show any surprises

I'm aware of the issue Gary brought up in HBASE-16754, but given
rarity and how long it's already been present I'm in favor of getting
this release out the door and shipping a fix presuming it is ready in
time for the next maintenance release.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Hi Mikhail,

No JIRA yet. I think there is more than one issue, working on disentangling
them.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.2.4 (RC0) is available

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
@Andrew sorry if I perhaps missed that..

Are those ITBLL issues you're seeing being tracked / looked at somewhere in
one place? How easily reproducible are they for you?
Intermittent ITBLL failures is what I spent quite a bit of time on earlier
this year..

-Mikhail

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1
>
> Checked sums and signatures: ok
> Compiled from source (7u80): ok
> RAT check passed: ok
> Unit test suite passes (8u102): ok
> 1M row LTT (8u102): ok
> 1B row ITBLL (8u102): failed, inconclusive
>
> I'm finding issues with long running ITBLL tests with 1.2 generally. We
> found and fixed one. There's another I am tracking down. ITBLL with 1.2.3
> fails as well so this isn't a regression in 1.2.4.
>

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 7:58 AM, Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > The first release candidate for HBase 1.2.4 is available for download at:
> >
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-1.2.4RC0/
> >
> > Maven artifacts are also available in a staging repository at:
> >
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1155/
> >
> > Artifacts are signed with my key (0D80DB7C) published in our KEYS
> > file at http://www.apache.org/dist/hbase/KEYS
> >
> > The RC corresponds to the signed tag 1.2.4RC0, which currently points
> > to commit ref
> >
> > 04bd0ec8e4cb2f39e5f787126f9b6645dabf27df
> >
> > The detailed source and binary compatibility report vs 1.2.3 has been
> > published for your review, at:
> >
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-1.2.4RC0/
> > 1.2.3_1.2.4RC0_compat_report.html
> >
> > HBase 1.2.4 is the fourth patch release in the HBase 1.2 line, continuing
> > on
> > the theme of bringing a stable, reliable database to the Hadoop and NoSQL
> > communities. This release includes about 30 bug fixes since 1.2.3.
> > Critical fixes include:
> >
> > * HBASE-16340 Xerces implementation jars removed (incompatible change)
> > * HBASE-15984 Given failure to parse a given WAL that was closed
> > cleanly, replay the WAL.
> > * HBASE-16721 Concurrency issue in WAL unflushed seqId tracking
> >
> > The full list of fixes included in this release is available at:
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
> > projectId=12310753&version=12338116
> >
> > and in the CHANGES.txt file included in the distribution.
> >
> > Please try out this candidate and vote +/-1 by 12:00 Pacific Time on
> > Monday, 2016-10-17 as to whether we should release these artifacts
> > as HBase 1.2.4.
> >
> > thanks!
> > -busbey
> >

> --
> Best regards,
>
>    - Andy

> (via Tom White)

Michael Antonov

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.2.4 (RC0) is available

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Best regards,