Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Alexander Shopov <al...@softtechbg.com> on 2006/11/20 15:41:09 UTC

Usin JSTL from jakarta with tomcat and the new web.xml descriptors

Hi guys,

I am trying to use the jakarta JSTL implementation for a project that
employs tomcat and the new web.xml descriptors. After reading the
documentation, FAQ, searching google ant the mail list I still do not
get is, so I am asking for some help.

Now onto the real config:

I am using tomcat: Apache Tomcat/5.5.20

I have downloaded Standard Taglib version 1.1.2 from here:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/standard-doc/intro.html

Then I read the documentation provided here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/binarydist.html

And realized that after copying the *tld and *jar files in their
corresponding places - I have no way to describe them in web.xml for its
scheme is here: http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd and
there is no way to add a taglib declaration.

I saw that for example struts tags are repackaged in *jar files that
have a special META-INF directory with a tld subdirectory.

I have read Appendix A of JavaServer Pages™ Standard Tag Library
specification from Sun but still do not get it - after copying *tlds and
*jars - what is the next step to use the tags in XML JSP pages.
(This one came from here:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-taglibs/FrequentlyAskedQuestions)

Can someone help me - I am stuck.

Kind regards:
al_shopov

Re: Usin JSTL from jakarta with tomcat and the new web.xml descriptors

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
Alexander Shopov wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am trying to use the jakarta JSTL implementation for a project that
> employs tomcat and the new web.xml descriptors. After reading the
> documentation, FAQ, searching google ant the mail list I still do not
> get is, so I am asking for some help.
>
> Now onto the real config:
>
> I am using tomcat: Apache Tomcat/5.5.20
>
> I have downloaded Standard Taglib version 1.1.2 from here:
>    http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/standard-doc/intro.html
>
> Then I read the documentation provided here:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/binarydist.html
>
> And realized that after copying the *tld and *jar files in their
> corresponding places - I have no way to describe them in web.xml for its
> scheme is here: http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd and
> there is no way to add a taglib declaration.

You don't need to do anything to web.xml and you don't need the TLD files,
they're already contained in standard.jar. Just dump the JAR files in
WEB-INF/lib.

> I saw that for example struts tags are repackaged in *jar files that
> have a special META-INF directory with a tld subdirectory.
>
> I have read Appendix A of JavaServer Pages™ Standard Tag Library
> specification from Sun but still do not get it - after copying *tlds and
> *jars - what is the next step to use the tags in XML JSP pages.
> (This one came from here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-taglibs/FrequentlyAskedQuestions)

There are a couple ways to use taglibs in JSP document (XML syntax). Here's
one using <jsp:root>:

<jsp:root xmlns:jsp="http://java.sun.com/JSP/Page"
           xmlns:c="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"
           version="2.0">