Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Emmanuel Bridonneau <eb...@cariocas.com> on 2002/07/17 22:34:50 UTC

extending struts model

Using Struts as the base for a IU framework I come to think that one of the (best) place to start extending Struts is through its configuration file. This approach uses existing foundation components and extend them. I want to extend the dtd so as to pass more information to build the solution. For instance, if an engineer wants to design an action that detects whether a user is authenticated before  doing anything, the engineer specify in the config file 'authenticate = true' attribute to the actio element. The specialized servlet controller check the attribute value and does some stuff before calling the action.
I don't want this approach to be a long undertaking and if that's the case I'd like to hear the alternatives you chose.

Anyone who has an idea where to start and mostly what is involved in this type of extension?