Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2005/01/31 02:10:24 UTC

Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Re: Revisiting high-level 3.1 goals

Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Re: Revisiting high-level 3.1 goals

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

>> What about:
>
>> The seperate zonefile will contain both (WS+JP)

>> The multi list, since those seem to can use multi anyway, has the
>> seperated sources.

> I'm opposed to creating new lists like this.
>
> Besides, if we're going to ask people to add rules to their
> 3.0.x, we can just ask them to add:
>

> urirhssub URIBL_JP_SURBL  multi.surbl.org.        A   64
> body      URIBL_JP_SURBL  eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_JP_SURBL')
> describe  URIBL_JP_SURBL  Has URI in JP at http://www.surbl.org/lists.html
> tflags    URIBL_JP_SURBL  net
>
> score URIBL_JP_SURBL    4.0

Thats how i am allready running JP since 3.x... so yes.

Bye,
Raymond.

Re: Removing JP from WS (Was: Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Re: Revisiting high-level 3.1 goals)

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Sunday, January 30, 2005, 7:28:42 PM, Jeff Chan wrote:
> OK I propose that we announce that the JP data will come out of
> WS say 7 January and ask anyone lacking a separate JP rule to add
> one.  Example 3.0.x and 2.63/4 rules are on the SURBL Quick Start.

> How does this sound to everyone?

OK Raymond says he's ok with removing JP from WS and letting
people know they should add a JP rule or upgrade to SA 3.1.

How does everyone else feel about it?

Jeff C.

Re: Removing JP from WS (Was: Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Re: Revisiting high-level 3.1 goals)

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Monday, January 31, 2005, 2:28:48 AM, Christer Borang wrote:
> In message <16...@surbl.org>, Jeff Chan writes:
>>OK I propose that we announce that the JP data will come out of
>>WS say 7 January and ask anyone lacking a separate JP rule to add
>>one.  Example 3.0.x and 2.63/4 rules are on the SURBL Quick Start.

>>How does this sound to everyone?

> Quit hogging that time machine, I want a go too!

> Kidding aside, I assume you mean either February or March?

> //Christer

LOL!  Ja 7 Feb.

Cheers,

Jeff C.

Removing JP from WS (Was: Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Re: Revisiting high-level 3.1 goals)

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

Posted by Larry Rosenman <le...@lerctr.org>.

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Sunday, January 30, 2005, 8:03:37 PM, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> Oh crap.  It's *me* that's confused and I'm sure I'll get 5 replies from
> people who don't read all their mail before sending replies telling me
> that.  Anyway, disregard my last message.

> Adding JP to WS was clearly a horrible idea to begin with.  However,
> wasting a bit on this is silly (and I think that's what I'm reacting to
> here), especially considering that Henry and I have been discussing a
> revamp of the SURBL rules where source would not matter and the number
> of bits set would matter -- we'd have to special case this.

Not to worry, I had to remove my foot from my mouth before
I could speak too.  ;-)

I think we have all the cases covered.   After we remove
JP from WS, anyone lacking a separate JP rule and not upgrading
to 3.1 can simply add a JP rule, as we've advised from the
beginning of JP.  It's just that such a change did not get
into the 3.0 release.

Jeff C.

Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Re: Revisiting high-level 3.1 goals

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Oh crap.  It's *me* that's confused and I'm sure I'll get 5 replies from
people who don't read all their mail before sending replies telling me
that.  Anyway, disregard my last message.

Adding JP to WS was clearly a horrible idea to begin with.  However,
wasting a bit on this is silly (and I think that's what I'm reacting to
here), especially considering that Henry and I have been discussing a
revamp of the SURBL rules where source would not matter and the number
of bits set would matter -- we'd have to special case this.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/

Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Re: Revisiting high-level 3.1 goals

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> writes:

> btw, I think requiring people to upgrade ASAP isn't necessarily a great
> idea; we can avoid it by setting up a new BL for "WS minus JP".  then
> 3.1.0 can look up

Gah!!! I think you might be confused about this.  There's no issue as
far as I can tell.  JP is the new blacklist and it includes WS, the old
blacklist.  The new blacklist should never have included WS
(#include-style, incidental overlap is okay, of course).

No longer importing WS into JP has no negative effect on any of these
users:

  - people with pre-JP versions: don't have JP anyway
  - people with pre-JP versions who added JP on their own: will still
    have both JP and WS
  - people running SVN HEAD or anything else that included JP already:
    will still have WS!

No new blacklist needed.

Warning is merely a courtesy for any oddballs who are only using JP.

Daniel