Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2016/05/15 18:06:47 UTC

[Risk?] Ignoring uncomfortable truths

<http://www.michaelbromley.co.uk/blog/529/why-i-havent-fixed-your-issue-yet>

There a few more than one individual working on Apache OpenOffice.  Not enough to provide the capacity, capability, and commitment that has a different result for AOO.  I see ample evidence for that in plain sight, based on what does and does not happen and what is not discussed.

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton
    orcmid@apache.org
    dennis.hamilton@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A
    X.509 certs used and requested for signed e-mail

Re: [Risk?] Ignoring uncomfortable truths

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
Yes. We have many committers and PMC members, but few are active, and our
total contributions are somewhat low.

A lot of AOO code is generally useful to other projects. I suspect we could
get further if we instead broke some modules off into standalone
subprojects that are directly usable by other projects, without the rest of
AOO. For example we could break off our charting code into a charting
subproject, break off our BASIC code into a standalone cross-platform BASIC
runtime subproject, and so on. Right now only AOO developers contribute to
AOO code, and AOO code can only be tested inside the AOO project. These
standalone subprojects would receive additional contributions from
independent developers using them in their own projects, and could be
tested and improved independently from AOO, while AOO also benefits.

Additionally I am hoping my idea of porting to Java will eventually open
new doors, both for these subprojects (if we go that route) and the rest of
AOO. Development in Java is faster, debugging easier, security exploits
fewer, so existing contributors can accomplish more, and the barrier to
entry would be lower for new contributors.

What else do you propose?

Damjan

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 8:06 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org