Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Gregg Horan <Gr...@dealer.com> on 2010/07/12 23:00:59 UTC

UserPref server side

I'm trying figure out how to get the shindig server to pull up my (to-
be) persistent user preferences, mainly to use the __UP...__
substitution at this point.  I see where all that substitution takes
place in java, but I haven't been able to find where the server loads
them up (except for those passed in with the render request).

 From what I can see, it would be pretty easy to implement the client
js preference interface backed by a couple rest endpoints (which would
not need to adhere to any specs themselves).... but how would the
server be able to leverage that?

Have I missed a server side interface that ties this all in, or are
userPreferences intended to be client driven - so I need to get them
first, then create the gadget by passing them back in with the render
call (doesn't seem right)?

Thanks
Gregg

Re: UserPref server side

Posted by Michael Young <mi...@liferay.com>.
>From what I've seen so far, the UserPrefs are mainly client-driven. It is up
to your implementation to pass in the the UP values to the client container
so that they can be added to the iframe url.

The sample container uses a metadata rpc call to get the UP metadata and
default values from the GadgetSpec.

In our implementation, we've reconstructed the GadgetSpec to get this
metadata in order to create a custom UI to edit user prefs.

--
- Mike