Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matt Trost <ma...@vistashare.com> on 2008/01/09 22:02:06 UTC

Need help committing transactions

<head>
</head>
experienced every developers' nightmare - the server crashed.&nbsp; I have
my SVN repository back in place on a different server, and I luckily
had both a full backup (hot copy) and the incremental revisions
committed after the last hot copy.&nbsp; When I loaded these incremental
revisions back into the repository it created transactions, but didn't
commit them.&nbsp; I can't figure out how to get them committed so that I
can get back to work.<br>
Thanks in advance,<br>
Matt<br>

Re: Need help committing transactions

Posted by Matt Trost <ma...@vistashare.com>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2008, at 15:33, Matthew Trost wrote:
>
>> I was able to reload the repository from the latest dump file, and it
>> put the revision at 1.  I guess this is fine.
>
> Are you sure this is fine? You'll lose all past log messages, all past
> history and the ability to recover anything you svn rm'd, you'll have
> to check out new working copies, any references to the old revision
> numbers for example in your issue tracker will now be invalid, etc.
>
>> I'm going to verify that everything is there that should be.  Thanks
>> for your help.

I'd prefer to retain the history, but I don't know of another way to
reload successfully.

My initial approach was to copy the backed up repository back to its
rightful place.  This put the repository at revision 306, and it works
perfectly except that it's 10 revisions behind where the "live" code
is.  Since I don't actually have the incremental revision dump files to
get me there, I had to start over.  What I did was blow away the
repository, and create it anew in the same directory.  Then I went to
the command line and did the svnadmin load command using the most recent
dump file.  Is there another way that you know of?

Re: Need help committing transactions

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Matthew Trost <ma...@vistashare.com>.
Matt Trost wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Yes - I'm using the "svnadmin load" command.  The transactions were
>>> placed into the db directory in the repository
>>> (D:\SVNRepository\db\transactions).  There are ten transactions
>>> waiting to be committed.  I'm using SVN 1.4.5 on a Windows Terminal
>>> Server 2000 machine now - it was 2003.
>>>
>>> This is the script in the post-commit hook batch file that created
>>> the incremental revision file (as far as I can remember):
>>>
>>> REM do an incremental backup of the commit
>>>
>>> @ECHO OFF
>>>
>>> REM %1 = repository path, %2 = revision number
>>>
>>> SET REVISION=%2
>>> svnadmin dump D:\SVNRepository\ -r %REVISION%:%REVISION% >
>>> path-to-backup-directory\revision%REVISION% --incremental
>>>
>>> Maybe this hook script wasn't functioning properly and was creating
>>> bogus files.
>>
>> You probably meant to pass the --incremental switch to svnadmin like
>> this:
>>
>> svnadmin dump D:\SVNRepository\ -r %REVISION%:%REVISION%
>> --incremental > path-to-backup-directory\revision%REVISION%
>>
>> I think this just means you were getting full revision backups
>> instead of incremental ones, so this would have taken more time to
>> make and would have been bigger but should still have worked.
>>
>>> I removed the last transaction and used the following command to try
>>> to reload it:
>>>
>>> svnadmin load path-to-repository < path-to-file\revision316
>>>
>>> This is the output/message that I got back:
>>>
>>> <<< Started new transaction, based on original revision 316
>>>      * adding path : mpps ...svnadmin: File already exists:
>>> filesystem 'path-to-repository/db', transaction '306-10', path 'mpps'
>>
>> So the file that is supposed to represent revision 316... actually
>> represents revision 306? Hmm.
>>

> You might be right, Ryan.  The incremental dump files are large, much
> larger than I was thinking they should be.  Maybe I can start with an
> empty repository and load the last dump file (revision316).  I'll give
> that a try.

I was able to reload the repository from the latest dump file, and it
put the revision at 1.  I guess this is fine.  I'm going to verify that

Posted by Matt Trost <ma...@vistashare.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Matt Trost <ma...@vistashare.com>.
<head>
</head>
using the "svnadmin load" command.&nbsp; The transactions were placed into
the db directory in the repository (D:\SVNRepository\db\transactions).&nbsp;
There are ten transactions waiting to be committed.&nbsp; I'm using SVN
1.4.5 on a Windows Terminal Server 2000 machine now - it was 2003.<br>
This is the script in the post-commit hook batch file that created the
incremental revision file (as far as I can remember):<br>
dump D:\SVNRepository\ -r %REVISION%:%REVISION% &gt;
Maybe this hook script wasn't functioning properly and was creating
bogus files.<br>
I removed the last transaction and used the following command to try to
reload it:<br>
svnadmin load path-to-repository &lt; path-to-file\revision316<br>
This is the output/message that I got back:<br>
&lt;&lt;&lt; Started new transaction, based on original revision 316<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; * adding path : mpps ...svnadmin: File already exists: filesystem
'path-to-repository/db', transaction '306-10', path 'mpps'<br>
Ryan Schmidt wrote:
 cite="mid:BBBD3C9D-B9A4-41FD-80D8-1C56AAE6FF4B@ryandesign.com"

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.