Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2015/10/15 04:17:57 UTC

structural reform- division of labor

Elsewhere in the org several ideas have been floated around regardinggeneral reorganization and reform.  Things like possibly creating a newcommittee to oversee inbound and outbound podlings, or perhaps having the IPMC form such a subcommittee.
I mention these notions not because I support them, but because othershere might want to pick up that ball and push some of that to conclusion.
However, one related suggestion I do support: creating subdivisions withinthe incubator by labor.  I would prefer to call those working groups butthat's not a big deal.
It would be beneficial in several ways: teams of ingress IPMC memberscould have a focused discussion on their own list about how to makeimprovements in that labor area.  Similarly for documentation, outbound transitioning, mentoring, tho as Martijn points out that might need additional subdividing by focus areas or timeline specialization.
Ted can fully flesh the details out as this was something he mentioned to me as one possible avenue of improvement.

RE: structural reform- division of labor

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
That's certainly a reasonable approach, but it doesn't quite capture what I'm talking about when I mention the concept of having individual working groups to do more focused collaboration on specific areas of work activity.  Where these conversations take place isn't really all that important, what is important is that we have them.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@gmail.com>.
The incubator is a very large committee with a lot of moving parts.  To
pick an example off the top of my head, let's look at the mentoring
situation.  What we generally do with new mentors is say hey so and so I
trust you will do a good job of watching over this podling for us.  What we
don't have right now are any general agreements of what "doing a good job"
entails.  Sure there are probably some docs about the subject, but
different people will interpret the relative merits of every bullet point
in different ways. The things we ask them to do, like sign off on reports
etc, are just ways of taking their pulse.  What we need is some place where
they can talk to other mentors about what they're supposed to be doing,
what is actually important versus what isn't, etc etc.  If issues pop up
they can shoot off an informal email to the mentoring working group before
having things escalated to incubator-private the way they do now.  You
might say they could contact other, more senior mentors on the project but
then again it's a crap shoot about the type of response you receive.

There are other examples, like on boarding and off boarding, where more
focused collaboration would serve the org well.  Docs are great, but they
don't replace the personal touch.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
To be specific, what I have in mind is something like
proposals@incubatordocs@incubatormentoring@incubatorgraduation@incubatorreleases@incubator
We probably don't need to start off with more subdivisions than that.