Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com> on 2007/06/29 11:30:59 UTC

Collapsing Borders, Spans, Background in Border Segment

Hi all,

Another question regarding backgrounds. See the attached FO file and the
resulting PDF. Cell 1.1 is spanning over 2 rows. Its border-right is
composed of 2 segments, one thicker and one thinner. For the latter, the
gap is currently filled with the table's background.

Question is: shouldn't that rather be the cell's background? Do we
consider that this gap should correspond to additional padding for the
cell, or to some transparent space showing the row's or the table's
background?

The first answer seems the most logical to me, but that means that if
the background is an image, it may be cropped by the other borders. Is
everyone ok with that?

Thanks,
Vincent

Re: Collapsing Borders, Spans, Background in Border Segment

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
You can see at http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/CollapsingBorderModel
to what conclusion I came.

I guess it's open for interpretation. In this scenario, we're not
talking about rectangles anymore but the spec defines everything in
rectangles. I wouldn't worry so much about that case because if
something like that happens, it's bad/ugly table design IMO. The spec
also doesn't say how exactly to paint the collapsed borders of different
widths. I wouldn't waste time on such exotic setups.

On 29.06.2007 11:30:59 Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Another question regarding backgrounds. See the attached FO file and the
> resulting PDF. Cell 1.1 is spanning over 2 rows. Its border-right is
> composed of 2 segments, one thicker and one thinner. For the latter, the
> gap is currently filled with the table's background.
>
> Question is: shouldn't that rather be the cell's background? Do we
> consider that this gap should correspond to additional padding for the
> cell, or to some transparent space showing the row's or the table's
> background?
>
> The first answer seems the most logical to me, but that means that if
> the background is an image, it may be cropped by the other borders. Is
> everyone ok with that?
>
> Thanks,
> Vincent

Jeremias Maerki