Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Maho NAKATA <ma...@apache.org> on 2011/11/10 01:47:23 UTC

agg and epm are still in svn repo.

Hi,
while porting AOOo to FreeBSD, pgf@ noticed that
agg and epm are still in svn repo.
is it correct? Should we remove them?

thanks
 Nakata Maho

Re: agg and epm are still in svn repo.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/15/11 5:03 PM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 11/10/11 6:03 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> Hello Maho,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 09:47:23AM +0900, Maho NAKATA wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> while porting AOOo to FreeBSD, pgf@ noticed that
>>> agg and epm are still in svn repo.
>>> is it correct? Should we remove them?
>>
>> epm is needed to build deb and rpm packages for Linux (at least, didn't
>> try BSD, etc).
>> Now that copy-left is disabled by default, I'm building with
>>
>> --with-epm=/home/ariel/bin/epm --with-package-format="installed rpm"
>>
>> and I find it nicer than building epm for every clean build.
>> IMO it can be removed and made a build dependency.
>
> i assume you use the patched version of epm that you have built earlier,
> correct? Did you have tried the system epm tool?

to be more precise, my question is related to Ariel's answer

Juergen

Re: agg and epm are still in svn repo.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
> Hi Jürgen,
>
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 05:03:37PM +0100, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> On 11/10/11 6:03 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:

>>> epm is needed to build deb and rpm packages for Linux (at least, didn't
>>> try BSD, etc).
>>> Now that copy-left is disabled by default, I'm building with
>>>
>>> --with-epm=/home/ariel/bin/epm --with-package-format="installed rpm"
>>>
>>> and I find it nicer than building epm for every clean build.
>>> IMO it can be removed and made a build dependency.
>>
>> i assume you use the patched version of epm that you have built
>> earlier, correct?
>
> so so. I took already downloaded the source, applied the patch and
> installed in ~/bin because...
>
>> Did you have tried the system epm tool?
>
> ... there is no epm in Fedora repositories, Ubuntu seems to have an
> epm package:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=epm
ok, fedora is on my list of the systems (rpm based) to test, good to
know that no epm is available in the repositories. Or better not good to
know :-(
I will test it on fedora with a fresh downloaded epm from the webpage.
But i have to setup a build env on fedora first. If you are interested
in testing it as well, i can share my patch.

I was able to build on Ubuntu with the system epm 4.2. Well i have not
finally tested the debs but will do so asap.

The whole packaging process is not really easy to understand ;-) It
takes some time...

Juergen

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Jürgen,

--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: agg and epm are still in svn repo.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
FWIW,

The problem we are seeing in FreeBSD is a bit weird, and I
think it has to do with the build environment (AKA ports
tree).

When built inside the ports tree, EPM and agg get built. We
are not not turning them on, they just build.

There are other issues: FreeBSD's gbuild stuff was not
really maintained or kept up to date by SUN and the
FreeBSD port does some *ugly* hacks to get things to build.
I am trying to fix those first with some (slow) success.

Pedro.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 10.11.2011 06:03, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> Hello Maho,
>
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 09:47:23AM +0900, Maho NAKATA wrote:
>> Hi,
>> while porting AOOo to FreeBSD, pgf@ noticed that
>> agg and epm are still in svn repo.
>> is it correct? Should we remove them?
>
> epm is needed to build deb and rpm packages for Linux (at least, didn't
> try BSD, etc).
> Now that copy-left is disabled by default, I'm building with
>
> --with-epm=/home/ariel/bin/epm --with-package-format="installed rpm"
>
> and I find it nicer than building epm for every clean build.
> IMO it can be removed and made a build dependency.

I agree with Ariel.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: agg and epm are still in svn repo.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hello Maho,

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi Maho,

Le 10 nov. 11 à 01:47, Maho NAKATA a écrit :

> Hi,
> while porting AOOo to FreeBSD, pgf@ noticed that agg and epm are
> still in svn repo. is it correct? Should we remove them?

If this can help, I know how to build Debian archives using dh_make
(this is the true debian way). The work is available as a script
under GPL license, but needs some improvement (was initialy written
by a student from epitech Paris, and I maintain it since one year).

OpenBSD needs installed (I completed OpenBSD build for OOo4Kids some
time ago).

The last issue is rpm, but I bet this is similar to dh_make.

On Mac OS X, everything is in XCode.

Windows needs nsis + some strange blobs

So at least epm can be removed from the repo, and kept (at the
beginning) as build dependency, why not.

About agg, I don't know exactly. I do builds without it, but I don't
know what is the difference. Maybe use system agg as dependency could
help if mandatory ?

Regards,
Eric

--
qɔᴉɹə
Blog : http://eric.bachard.org/news

Re: agg and epm are still in svn repo.

Posted by Maho NAKATA <ma...@apache.org>.
From: Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>
Subject: Re: agg and epm are still in svn repo.
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 17:43:19 -0800 (PST)

> I personally didn't plan to remove agg. I like it as
> option and license wise it's OK so I have no pland to
> remove it, at least for now.
I see.

> I did notice it's still getting built on our port and
> I have to look at why. I think when I attempt to build
> AOOo from the tarball it doesn't get built but there
> are other ugly issues with icu there.

Looks like a bug. But it is reasonable if I read the "configure.in". First, examine
enabling agg or not. quoting from configure.in
> AC_MSG_CHECKING([whether to enable agg])
if test "$enable_agg" = "yes"; then
  AC_MSG_RESULT([yes])
  AC_SUBST(ENABLE_AGG)
  ENABLE_AGG=YES
  AGG_VERSION=2400
else
  AC_MSG_RESULT([no])
  ENABLE_AGG=NO

  dnl ===================================================================
  dnl Check for system AGG
  dnl ===================================================================
  AC_MSG_CHECKING([which AGG to use])
but then, checks for system agg even though ENABLE_AGG=NO.
thanks

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
No need to apologize,

OOo (or AOO? ,looks like a tie from here), is a huge monster
and it's difficult to keep up with all the changes that
are in progress !

best regards,

Pedro.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
Am 10.11.2011 16:52, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:

> ok, drop counterproductive but i still don't understand why you have
> checked in it at all. The update if necessary could have been done at a
> later time as well.

You seem to misunderstand what Pedro did. "agg" was always part of the
source tree. IIRC Pedro tried to remove it, but then canvas couldn't be
built anymore. So he at least updated it as much as possible. IMHO a
good idea.

Regards,
Mathias

Re: agg and epm are still in svn repo.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Jürgen;

--- On Thu, 11/10/11, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> my main concern here is why you haven't updated the tar
> file with a newer version and used the same mechanism
> as for all other 3rd party libs.

There has never been any tarball for this. Maybe we should
move it to a third party lib but I thought the idea was to
move those in instead.

> ok, drop counterproductive but i still don't understand why
> you have
> checked in it at all. The update if necessary could have
> been done at a
> later time as well.

Time is something relative.  I am very new to all this and
playing with this stuff that doesn't interfere with the
critical path served me to learn SVN and start understanding
the build system.
I've done other much simpler changes that are of huge
importance but this agg thing taught me a lot.

Doing it at a later time would certainly not be acceptable:
we don't want to move stuff like this the week before a
release!

> why not analyzing if possible to use it? As it is optional
> (default=disabled) anyway it would be much easier.

I could have it accept 2.5 but remember:
- This is not used by anything in the tree.
- We have the compatible version 2.4 already.

> > relatively easy.
> you can always ask if others can help. I can think also
> about much more interesting stuff but some things have
> to done at the moment ;-)

I will probably get to see what can be improved in the
configure script but for now let's just keep doing
what matters :-P.

Pedro.

Re: agg and epm are still in svn repo.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.