Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by "Vorbau, Alex" <al...@hp.com> on 2002/04/16 02:02:30 UTC

XPATH won't query CDATA?

Hi,

I'm testing out Xindice to see if it meets the needs of our project.  I
loaded it with 3,000 XML files and tried some XPATH queries.  I've noticed a
couple problems, so I'm hoping that I'm just not using it correctly.

* a substring search ( i.e. contains() ) results in a linear search which
takes about 40-60 sec, regardless of any indexers that are set.  I saw a
reference to this problem in an earlier message, but I wondering if this
will be addressed soon.

* more importantly, an XPATH query of the exact contents of an element that
is wrapped in CDATA returns nothing.

For example if there's an element like this:
<foo>
   <bar><![CDATA[Bert & Ernie]]></bar>
</foo>

The XPATH query
   //foo[bar = 'Bert & Ernie']"
returns nothing.  So does this:
   //foo[bar = '<![CDATA[Bert & Ernie]]>']"

Could this be true?  I hope I'm missing something because non-support for
CDATA is definitely a showstopper for us.

TIA for you help,

Alex

-----
Alex Vorbau
HP Labs, Nomadic Computing Dept.
650-857-3050
alex_vorbau@hp.com

Re: XPATH won't query CDATA?

Posted by Carsten Ziegert <ca...@ik.fh-hannover.de>.
I often use XPath queries searching for CDATA and it works
when using the form
//foo[bar='Ernie']
Maybe the ampersand is the cause for retrieving nothing.

--

Medizinische Hochschule Hannover                    Fachhochschule Hannover
Abt. Hämatologie und Onkologie     FB Informations- und Kommunikationswesen

                           ++49-511-9296-1650
                    http://summit-bmt.fh-hannover.de

Re: XPATH won't query CDATA?

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.