Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> on 2012/11/25 20:42:45 UTC

To RC or not RC

I wish RCs were useful, but I don't believe anyone really looks or takes the time to even try anything until it's actually released.

It's not hard to make RCs. So if folks want them, not a problem, I can roll an RC.

Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

To do two things at once is to do neither.

 -- Publilius Syrus, Roman slave, first century B.C.

Re: To RC or not RC

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> 2012/11/26 Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>:
>> Well technically we only vote on the sources *not* the binaries *nor* the
>
> You don't test the binaries we will propose to users for download ?
> Do you think users download sources to build maven locally ?
> So for me binaries we produce as important as sources as long as it's
> material we propose to users.

Unfortunately, there's a big legal distinction between the sources and
everything else. If you like, you can think of a vote as being,
really, two votes: the one that creates the official Foundation
release, which is source, and a community vote to also shove the
convenience binaries onto the mirrors.

There are days when I think it would be less of a headache if the
Foundation's practice was to do releases in two phases, with a
testing/voting process for binaries that followed the official release
of the source. I'm not trying to talk anyone into this.

Re: To RC or not RC

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: To RC or not RC

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: To RC or not RC

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: To RC or not RC

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Re: To RC or not RC

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: To RC or not RC

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 11/26/12 00:49, schrieb Jason van Zyl:
> It's easy enough to not push the tag, or blow it away.
>
> So I'll just stage it again.

All I am saying is that this
<https://github.com/apache/maven-3/tree/maven-3.1.0> tag will be
incorrect, if you ever need to re-create another 3.1.0 tag in
subsversion from now on. I do not know if this can be corrected. If it
could, then someone could also correct that 3.0.4 tag ?

--
Christian

Re: To RC or not RC

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

On Nov 25, 2012, at 3:46 PM, Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
>

> On 25 November 2012 23:09, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> takes the time to even try anything until it's actually released.

>> roll an RC.

>>> Problem is (was?) with tags pushed to github ending up wrong. For
>>> example, the tag 'maven-3.0.4' at <https://github.com/apache/maven-3>
>>> just isn't the final 3.0.4.
>>
>> I've always thought that one of the virtues of git was that the RM
>> could hold off pushing the tag until the release vote passes. If
>> people want to see it, we could push to a temporary vote repo to
>> expose it.
>>

>> It's a pre 3.0.4-RC and there have been
>>> changes between that initial tag and the final tag in subversion, if I
>>> remember correctly. So tagging a 3.1.0 now, removing that tag and then
>>> re-creating another 3.1.0 tag is a bit problematic when the intial tag
>>> already got pushed to github.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Christian

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

First, the taking in of scattered particulars under one Idea,
so that everyone understands what is being talked about ... Second,
the separation of the Idea into parts, by dividing it at the joints,
as nature directs, not breaking any limb in half as a bad carver might.

  -- Plato, Phaedrus (Notes on the Synthesis of Form by C. Alexander)

Re: To RC or not RC

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: To RC or not RC

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: To RC or not RC

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 11/25/12 20:42, schrieb Jason van Zyl:
> I wish RCs were useful, but I don't believe anyone really looks or takes the time to even try anything until it's actually released.
>
> It's not hard to make RCs. So if folks want them, not a problem, I can roll an RC.
>
> Anyone have an opinion?

Problem is (was?) with tags pushed to github ending up wrong. For
example, the tag 'maven-3.0.4' at <https://github.com/apache/maven-3>
just isn't the final 3.0.4. It's a pre 3.0.4-RC and there have been

Re: To RC or not RC

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
I plan to be working on this for the next 8 weeks or so. There will definitely be another release within a couple months. Hopefully in 4-6 weeks.

On Nov 25, 2012, at 11:50 AM, Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are going to help do another release in the next 2 months or so
> (barring unforeseen circumstances) my vote is Jenkins tip style, no RCs,
> early and often.
>
> If we are going to resume the snails pace (I hope not) then RCs
>
> Thst's my €0.02
>
> -Stephen
>
> On Sunday, 25 November 2012, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> I wish RCs were useful, but I don't believe anyone really looks or takes
>> the time to even try anything until it's actually released.
>>
>> It's not hard to make RCs. So if folks want them, not a problem, I can
>> roll an RC.
>>
>> Anyone have an opinion?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder & CTO, Sonatype
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> To do two things at once is to do neither.
>>
>> -- Publilius Syrus, Roman slave, first century B.C.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense.

 -- Buddha

Re: To RC or not RC

Posted by Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com>.
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 15:24:54 -0500
Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see no value to RCs around here. To me, RC's are valuable when the
> packaging is unstable, and you want a way for people to kick the tires
> of 'the package'. Our packaging is stable.
+1

> Any member of the community, even I, can check out the trunk and build
> the core and try it out. I don't need to wait for an RC for that.
>
> I'm in favor of just making releases and communicating to the user
> community what's in them. We could go as far as the HTTPD community
> and use a numbering convention for things that might not be suitable
> for the faint of heart.

+1

Just a shame to think of it after calling a vote :(

Let's have a 3.1.0 ;)

tony.

Re: To RC or not RC

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I see no value to RCs around here. To me, RC's are valuable when the
packaging is unstable, and you want a way for people to kick the tires
of 'the package'. Our packaging is stable.

Any member of the community, even I, can check out the trunk and build
the core and try it out. I don't need to wait for an RC for that.

I'm in favor of just making releases and communicating to the user
community what's in them. We could go as far as the HTTPD community
and use a numbering convention for things that might not be suitable
for the faint of heart.

Re: To RC or not RC

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
Hello,