Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/06 22:29:24 UTC

Removal of deprecated stuff

I'm doing a lot of work in trunk (5.3.0) to start removing classes
that were @Deprecated in 5.2 and earlier.  So far, it's been some
minor things not visible to most users, plus @ApplicationState,
@IncludeJavaScriptLibrary and @IncludeStylesheet.

There's quite a few more I want to hit, including PrimaryKeyEncoder,
RenderSupport, and the old page pooling mechanism.as well as the
URLRewriter stuff that was replaced with the LinkTransformer.

If you know something that's @Deprecated in 5.2 and think there's a
compelling reason to extend support for it for another release, please
speak up!

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Removal of deprecated stuff

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 10:12:03 -0200, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ok, I'll create sub-task issues for these cases.

Another +1 to that.

In a case-by-case basis, I think it would be interesenting to provide some
separate JARs containing some deprecated feature. I'd call them
backward-compatibility packages. This way, people with code written using
something that was deprecated can still run its code without changes and
we can say that Tapestry 5 is backward-compatible. ;)

One example is of the old URL rewriting code. The LinkTransformer API
doesn't handle 100% of the scenarios the old one does.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor

Re: Removal of deprecated stuff

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Wouldn't it be better to create several JIRA issues for the removal of
deprecated stuff? This way we could point the users to the issues in case of
questions or upgrade problems.

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm doing a lot of work in trunk (5.3.0) to start removing classes
> that were @Deprecated in 5.2 and earlier.  So far, it's been some
> minor things not visible to most users, plus @ApplicationState,
> @IncludeJavaScriptLibrary and @IncludeStylesheet.
>
> There's quite a few more I want to hit, including PrimaryKeyEncoder,
> RenderSupport, and the old page pooling mechanism.as well as the
> URLRewriter stuff that was replaced with the LinkTransformer.
>
> If you know something that's @Deprecated in 5.2 and think there's a
> compelling reason to extend support for it for another release, please
> speak up!
>

> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>
> Creator of Apache Tapestry