Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by James Berry <jb...@criticalpath.com> on 2002/02/17 19:56:24 UTC

Sane Includes Trauma

In working to update and verify the Mac build following the Sane includes
trauma, I've got the following observations and or questions:

    - The CVS repository is now littered with a bunch of defunct and empty
directories which will add to a lot of confusion (c/src/sax/ etc).

    - I thought Murray's proposal was to rename "src" to "xercesc" rather
than add a new "c/src/xercesc" level to the hierarchy?

    - I would have thought that a cvs repository hack to affect this name
change would have been appropriate here, rather than deleting and then
re-adding files? That would have kept the cvs history with each file,
presumably a good thing, rather than orphaning all of the history in the
attic of the defunct directories.

    - Since we're now stuck with a bunch of defunct directories (that
contain all of our history in their attic), what about a cvs repository hack
that moves them off into some less-obtrusive location (c/defunct/..)

    - It looks like some build documentation needs to be updated to reflect
the new layouts. (Isn't it now necessary to set the XERCESCROOT variable to
c/src/xercesc rather than c/src?)

Triage anyone? Is it only I that am suffering this trauma?

-jdb

Re: Sane Includes Trauma

Posted by Dean Roddey <dr...@charmedquark.com>.
> > On Sun, 2002-02-17 at 19:56, James Berry wrote:
> >> In working to update and verify the Mac build following the Sane
includes
> >> trauma, I've got the following observations and or questions:
> > [snip]
> >> Triage anyone? Is it only I that am suffering this trauma?
> >
> > While I agree with your points, and believe that the change of plan
> > should have been discussed on the list, I think that it's silly of you
> > to call this a trauma, or to say that you are suffering.
>
> Sorry Murray. No offense meant at all. And I used far more hyperbole than
> was needed. Perhaps I'm just being grumpy today. And maybe I've got the
idea
> that the there's still a bit of gore in the operating room that hasn't
been
> cleaned up.

If I'm going to start having to turn my head and cough to use this parser,
I'm outie, dude.

--------------------------
Dean Roddey
The Charmed Quark Controller
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com
http://www.charmedquark.com

"If it don't have a control port, don't buy it!"

Re: Sane Includes Trauma

Posted by James Berry <jb...@criticalpath.com>.

Re: Sane Includes Trauma

Posted by Murray Cumming <mu...@t-online.de>.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc@usa.net

Re: Sane Includes Trauma

Posted by James Berry <jb...@criticalpath.com>.
On 2/17/02 10:56 AM, "James Berry" <jb...@criticalpath.com> wrote:

>   - It looks like some build documentation needs to be updated to reflect
> the new layouts. (Isn't it now necessary to set the XERCESCROOT variable to
> c/src/xercesc rather than c/src?)

I'll answer my own question here: no, XERCESCROOT should still point to the
(cvs) "c" directory. But some of the build instructions need to change.
Before running runConfigure or make, it is now necessary to cd to

Re: Sane Includes Trauma

Posted by James Berry <jb...@criticalpath.com>.
On 2/17/02 3:32 PM, "Juergen Hermann" <jh...@web.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 10:56:24 -0800, James Berry wrote:
>
>>    - The CVS repository is now littered with a bunch of defunct and empty
>> directories which will add to a lot of confusion (c/src/sax/ etc).
>
> cvs up -dAP

You're right, and I retract my gripes ;)

-jdb

Re: Sane Includes Trauma

Posted by Juergen Hermann <jh...@web.de>.
On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 10:56:24 -0800, James Berry wrote:

>    - The CVS repository is now littered with a bunch of defunct and empty
>directories which will add to a lot of confusion (c/src/sax/ etc).

cvs up -dAP

Ciao, Jürgen