Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Chris <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2007/01/24 18:12:09 UTC

Automatically zipping and archiving logs?

Does anyone know of a way to zip log files automatically and copy them
to an archive? I'm thinking that an Appender that did this would be cool.

We've got an installation with a number of app servers that generate
huge logs at very high speed. If we could zip a log whenever it rolled
over, and then have all the servers move the zipped files to a common
location (renaming the files appropriately), it would solve a big
maintenance headache.

I'm thinking something that works like AsyncAppender would be a good
idea, because then the system wouldn't need to pause to handle the
zipping task. A separate low-priority thread could do it.

Does anything like this exist now?

Re: AW: Automatically zipping and archiving logs?

Posted by patrick <Pa...@mobilesolutions.ch>.
ok, maybe like this....

http://www.nabble.com/file/5911/log4jCompressingAppender-src.zip
log4jCompressingAppender-src.zip