Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Radim Kolar <hs...@filez.com> on 2012/11/25 20:14:34 UTC

trailing whitespace

I propose addition to QA bot - check for trailing whitespace in patches.
Probably checking for tabs in Java files would be also good idea.

Re: trailing whitespace

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
IIRC we still have a checkstyle section in the QA bot's checking
script, if that still is interesting for devs to turn on again. At
some point it was probably disabled.

--
Harsh J

Re: trailing whitespace

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
OK, if folks want to do something to get rid of trailing whitespace in the
project I won't object, but it doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. A
pre-commit hook makes sense to me. I just don't want to see the QA bot flag
patches containing trailing whitespace, thus requiring more round trips on
patches.

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: trailing whitespace

Posted by Radim Kolar <hs...@filez.com>.

Re: trailing whitespace

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.
Some projects have a subversion pre or post-commit hook to check for
and/or correct these kinds of issues.

Inconsistent line endings (CRLF/LF), bogus tabs, and extra whitespace
are all things we could check for and/or correct this way.

Colin

Re: trailing whitespace

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.