Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Jim McNeill <Ji...@BTInternet.COM> on 2001/05/28 21:23:48 UTC

forumdemo example can't find list.vm

Good day all,

Trying to get the forum demo to work (under Windows 98). Copied forumdemo
directory from velocity\examples into tomcat\webapps, started tomcat, index
page OK but attempting to post or list gives this kind of stuff in the web
page:

java.lang.Exception: Cannot find the template!
java.lang.Exception: Cannot find the template! at
org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityServlet.doRequest(VelocityServlet.java:3
34) at
org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityServlet.doGet(VelocityServlet.java:287)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:740) at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853) at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:404) at
org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:286) at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372) at
7) at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743)
at
onnectionHandler.java:210) at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:416) at
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

and (perhaps more helpfully) the tomcat console has

	Error handling the request:
		org.apache.velocity.exception.ResourceNotFoundException:
		Unable to find resource 'list.vm'

I've tried copying list.vm to the webapps\forumdemo directory (no joy), then
tried copying the whole template directory to webapps\forumdemo\WEB-INF. No
luck there either.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on?

Cheers
Jim McNeill

RE: forumdemo example can't find list.vm

Posted by Jim McNeill <Ji...@BTInternet.COM>.
Yep, it works fine on 1.1.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
Jim McNeill wrote:

> Yeah, you're absolutely right, I'm running 1.0.1. I noticed there was a 1.1
> but I was too lazy to download it...doing that now.  Sorry.

That's all right - let us know if it works - I changed forumdemo to be
autoconfiguring on a 2.2 or better servlet runner...

> Cheers big ears
> Jim McNeill
>
> PS: I see there's a couple of people on the list getting damn angry.
> Thought I was just getting into a techie thing; never knew there was
> amusement to be had too! Can I look forwards to more of this? Or is it past
> their bedtimes yet?

Don't start.  In hockey, there is a 'third man in' rule that gets you an
additional 2 minutes...

:)

geir

Posted by Jim McNeill <Ji...@BTInternet.COM>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
If you download the file that I pointed at, you will see it is a copy of
Tomcat, Velocity and Forumdemo already configured and setup. I don't see how
this is any different than what you were looking for already.

-jon

on 5/29/01 5:38 AM, "Jim McNeill" <Ji...@BTInternet.COM> wrote:

> Thanks Jon, but I was trying to get the demo running on my PC to make sure
> I've got all the Tomcat/ Velocity bits working properly together. Geir
> sussed that I was using 1.0.1 and suggested downloading 1.1 - which now
> works fine.  Even though I ignored the warning while building it to set PATH
> in Velocity.property.
>
> Ta much
> Jim

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous

RE: forumdemo example can't find list.vm

Posted by Jim McNeill <Ji...@BTInternet.COM>.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.