Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Maria Beckham <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2014/06/07 06:03:44 UTC

Cartridge Questions

Hi,

I have been working on POC using this stratos framework and stuck at the cartridge stuff. Documentation is not comprehensive enough to understand completely. Could someone answer the below

1. I see under tools\stratos-installer\cartridges\openstack, three cartridge definition files are of no use right? If not, why
     they are there when it does not have any real image stuff etc?
2.  Whenever we create a cartridge image, is it our responsibility to create cartridge definition file either manually or
     programmatically, or is there a way stratos can generate it automatically during cartridge image creation?
3.  How does cartridge concept work? For example, how does it work for the below case

    Two users want to have their own java,tomcat app env based on the same git repo? how does two users can have their own respective ipaddress based env on the same git repo? my understanding is that once an cartridge image is created its only one ip address associated inside it and can have only subcription  right?  or do we need to create cartridge and its definition for each user inorder to have seperate ip address to each user?

4. Also, is there a way we can make ADC to listen jenkins or any other repo other git like nexus as opposed to git?

Re: Cartridge Questions

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Maria Beckham <ma...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been working on POC using this stratos framework and stuck at the
> cartridge stuff. Documentation is not comprehensive enough to understand
> completely. Could someone answer the below
>
> 1. I see under tools\stratos-installer\cartridges\openstack, three
> cartridge definition files are of no use right? If not, why
>      they are there when it does not have any real image stuff etc?

Those cartridge xml flies are no use anymore. With Stratos 4, we use json
files for cartridge definiations. Yes they should be removed. Thanks for
pointing it out.

>  2.  Whenever we create a cartridge image, is it our responsibility to
> create cartridge definition file either manually or
>      programmatically, or is there a way stratos can generate it
> automatically during cartridge image creation?

When you create a new vm image (say a java image)  you have to create a
cartridge definition json file with the ID of the new image created.

> 3.  How does cartridge concept work? For example, how does it work for the
> below case
>
>     Two users want to have their own java,tomcat app env based on the same
> git repo? how does two users can have their own respective ipaddress based
> env on the same git repo? my understanding is that once an cartridge image
> is created its only one ip address associated inside it and can have only
> subcription  right?  or do we need to create cartridge and its definition
> for each user inorder to have seperate ip address to each user?

Stratos cartridge creation guide [1] explain how to create a PHP cartridge
image . If you specify tomcat instead php, it will be a tomcat cartridge
image. After creating a cartridge image, you deploy the cartridge
definition json file to the Stratos as mentioned in [2]. In the cartridge
definition, you change the "imageId":"your_image_id", to match to the
cartrdige image you created.
You have to deploy a separate cartridge for every cartridge type you want
(java, tomcat etc)

Now any tenant/user see the deployed tomcat cartridge. So the users can
subscribe to the cartridge. You can provide the GIT reposiroty URl at the
time of subscription. Then Stratos will spawn a instance for every
subscription. The spawned instance will have clone of the GIT repository
URL you have provided.
When multiple users subscribe to the  tomcat cartridge, each of them will
get instance of their own with the clone of the provided GIT repo. Since
there are multiple instanes, you get separate IP addresses for every
subscription.
Please note that you don't have to deploy cartridge definitions for each
user. You deploy the cartridge with admin user and every tenant can
subscribe to the deployed cartridge.

You can deploy cartridges, partitions, policies using the Stratos UI also.

Currently Stratos does not include a Java cartridge. So you have to create
a java cartridge by writing puppet modules[4]  for java.

> 4. Also, is there a way we can make ADC to listen jenkins or any other
> repo other git like nexus as opposed to git?

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.0.0+Creating+a+Cartridge
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.0.0+Deploying+a+Cartridge+Definition
[3]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.0.0+Configuring+Puppet+Master
[4]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.0.0+Configuring+Puppet+Master

--

Udara Liyanage
Software Engineer

web: http://udaraliyanage.wordpress.com
phone: +94 71 443 6897

Re: ADC code

Posted by Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>.
I resolved the JIRA [1] that was based on this mail.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STRATOS-671

Regards,
Mariangela

*--*
Mariangela Hills
Senior Technical Writer

*WSO2, Inc.*lean.enterprise.middleware.
m: +94 773 500185
w: http://wso2.com
<http://wso2.com/events/>

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM, Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> Hi Sajith,
>
> I added information on the docroot parameter in [1].
>
> Imesh, thanks for helping me on this!
>
> [1]
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/Creating+a+Git+Repository+for+Artifact+Distribution
>
> Regards,
> Mariangela
>

> *--*
> Mariangela Hills
> Senior Technical Writer
>
> *WSO2, Inc.*lean.enterprise.middleware.
> m: +94 773 500185
> w: http://wso2.com
>  <http://wso2.com/events/>
>

> On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 9:53 PM, Sajith Kariyawasam <sa...@wso2.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 9:15 PM, Maria Beckham <ma...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> So, that means, the way it works is as follows
>>>
>>> 1. Git repo structure should match tomcat webapp deployment directory
>>> structure
>>> 2. CartridgeAgent on the VM will be triggered on a git push event and
>>> would do local pull and thereby treat is as an redeploy on a successful pull
>>>
>>> Right?
>>>

>> Yes, correct.
>>
>> @Chris, yes these need to be added to Wiki.
>> APP_PATH property is getting set via "docroot" variable in puppet
>> scripts, and you need to set that variable accordingly [1] [2]
>> So If you are using puppet you will need to set the "docroot" variable.
>>
>> @Mari, please note. I think we need to document about these kind of other
>> parameters as well.
>>
>>  [1]
>> https://github.com/apache/stratos/blob/master/tools/puppet3/modules/agent/templates/bin/stratos.sh.erb
>> [2]
>> https://github.com/apache/stratos/blob/master/tools/puppet3/manifests/php.pp
>>

>>>   ------------------------------

>>> https://github.com/apache/stratos/tree/master/components/org.apache.stratos.cartridge.agent
>>> [2]

Re: ADC code

Posted by Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>.
Hi Sajith,

Re: ADC code

Posted by Sajith Kariyawasam <sa...@wso2.com>.

--
*--*
*Sajith Kariyawasam*

Re: ADC code

Posted by Maria Beckham <ma...@yahoo.com>.

________________________________

Re: ADC code

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: ADC code

Posted by Sajith Kariyawasam <sa...@wso2.com>.
Hi Maria,

--
*--*
*Sajith Kariyawasam*

Re: ADC code

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Maria,

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69

ADC code

Re: Cartridge Questions

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Maria,

> 4. Also, is there a way we can make ADC to listen jenkins or any other repo other git like nexus as opposed to git?

At the moment, no, though I think this would be useful functionality.
Please add a JIRA ticket for this functionality so we can monitor
interest for this.

There is a thread discussing a similar topic here [1].

Many thanks,

Chris

---
[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/stratos-dev/201405.mbox/%3CCAGWifGLuSGry-9_PNc_pHTMDVTHwmrPDtqXqbknUV535h-ccPQ@mail.gmail.com%3E