Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org> on 2018/10/03 15:36:46 UTC

[HEADS UP] Camel 3.x branch

Hey guys !
It's been a long time I've been working actively on Camel, so I'm glad to
be back !
I've spent the last few weeks working on a few things related to a possible
Camel 3.x branch, mainly:
  * removing all deprecated stuff (or most of them)
  * making camel-core more modular by extracting stuff out of it
Given those changes lead to incompatible changes, I've refactored my
changes on top of a change to version 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.
I've uploaded the branch at
   https://github.com/apache/camel/tree/sandbox/camel-3.x

The first item is quite simple in principle, i.e. I've removed everything
that was flagged as @Deprecated.  A lot of changes were more complicated
than just removing a few lines, and some of them were actually substantial.

On top of that, I've worked on some JIRA already raised for 3.x and also a
few enhancements (like the ServiceSupport one, though there are still some
incoherences).

One of my goal was to experiment on making camel-core more modular, which
I've worked on these past days.  This requires moving some stuff from one
package to another to make packages more cohesive and be able to later
extract them.  So o.a.c.util.* do not depend on a.o.c anymore, which means
some stuff has been moved to o.a.c.support and similar changes. Also, base
classes such as DefaultComponent, DefaultEndpoint and related have been
moved from o.a.c.impl to o.a.c.support.
I'll continue experimenting a bit on this modularization to ensure that
components can be built without relying on camel-core directly.

Another thing I've experimented but not yet ported to that branch is to
isolate o.a.c.model from the actual processors.  This is done by extracting
the code that translates the XxxDefinition into YyyProcessor into a
separate package.  This should allow experimenting with stuff like
generating fluent xml/java dsls from the metadata.

Just wanted to provide some feedback on my latest huge commit and make
things public.  I'm planning to rebase on top of master regularly until the
community decides of the fate of this branch :-)

Guillaume

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [HEADS UP] Camel 3.x branch

Posted by Onder SEZGIN <on...@gmail.com>.
Great start. Thanks...

Re: [HEADS UP] Camel 3.x branch

Posted by Luca Burgazzoli <lb...@gmail.com>.

Re: [HEADS UP] Camel 3.x branch

Posted by Nicola Ferraro <ni...@gmail.com>.
That's really nice!

Re: [HEADS UP] Camel 3.x branch

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [HEADS UP] Camel 3.x branch

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Awesome !

Thanks ! I have some WIP around camel on karaf as well.

Regards
JB

Re: [HEADS UP] Camel 3.x branch

Re: [HEADS UP] Camel 3.x branch

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
I've just pushed an updated branch further modularize camel-core.
The next step on my plan to continue working on isolating the model /
builders and the components / language from the core implementation.

--
Guillaume Nodet