Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bryan Zimmer <ba...@baz-tech.com> on 2002/07/09 04:56:53 UTC

Re: Problems starting tomcat 4.0.4 on linux Was: Problems stopping tomcat 4.0.4 on linux

Still having problems, now with starting tomcat4.
Since I got your earlier message, as I said earlier, I am now getting what
seem to be "OK" startups from the /etc/init.d/tomcat4 script, but tomcat
never actually starts, so as a result I got the same  message you described.

I decided to try a couple of things after studying the script
"/etc/init.d/tomcat4".

There is a startup script in /usr/bin called dtomcat4, with options "start",
"stop", "run", etc. I decided to run the script directly. I su'd to be user
tomcat4, and issued the command "dtomcat4 run", which gave the following
output:
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/tomcat4/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/java/jdk
ERROR reading /var/tomcat4/conf/server.xml
At Line 324 /Server/Service/Connector/
className=org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector port=8008
minProcessors=5 maxProcessors=75 enableLookups=true appBase=webapps
acceptCount=10 debug=0

Catalina.start: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector
 at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(StandardClassLoader
.java:1127)
 at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(StandardClassLoader
.java:992)
 at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:322)
    [ class heirarchy snipped ]
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)

On an earlier attempt it had given me the error:
Error at server.xml line 84
Class not found: org.apache.catalina.connector.Ajp13Connecter

So I commented out the Ajp13 <Connector ...> tag to see what else would
happen.

Obviously I either don't have the "connector" classes at all, or the
CLASSPATH wasn't being set to include them. Does anyone have any idea?

I tried re-installing the rpms for tomcat4-4.0.4-full-noarch.jpp.rpm (or
whatever it's called) and also the rpm for the webapps.

I got an error:

Preparing...
tomcat4                     warning: /etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat4 saved as
/etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat4.rpmorig
failed on file /var/tomcat4/server/lib/servlets-cgi.renametojar;3d2a4ecd:
cpio: read failed - Bad file descriptor
tomcat4-webapps

Is this the culprit? Or am I looking at two different problems? Does anyone
have any ideas? I have no been without tomcat for a few days during an
intensive testing period.