Posted to dev@myriad.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2015/05/07 06:56:19 UTC

May board report

Hi,

I’ve been appointed shepherd for Myriad this month and while doing a review  I noticed a couple of minor things that you may wish to address in your board report and/or on this dev list.

Please note that this is just from a casual glance and you certainly know your project better that I do and I may of missed something/there may not be any issues at all.

1. Conversations seems to be happening off list [1].
2. Git report has been created but there’s no code in it [2]. Pull requests are still happening on non ASF github.
3. May need some clarity around making releases in this way [3] I suggest you carefully read [4] [5]. Note that "Under no circumstances are unapproved builds a substitute for releases."

Again I’m not involved in this project and it up to the PMC (with the Mentors help) to decide what to do and don’t do, so feel free to ignore the above if you don’t think there’s any issue here.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-myriad-dev/201504.mbox/%3cCAKoQnDUsEsuoKO4YRaQWsJBLvjRhStBcqGhcNgwYnuhZYM7MrA@mail.gmail.com%3e
2. https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-myriad.git;a=summary
3. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-myriad-dev/201504.mbox/%3c985B60F3-EB09-4B54-8B4A-6A791C151ACD@mesosphere.io%3e
4. http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what-must-every-release-contain
5. http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

Re: May board report

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.
Thanks Justin,

1. As Ken mentioned, we have a regularly scheduled community-wide hangout
meeting that the entire dev@ mailing list is invited
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-myriad-dev/201504.mbox/%3C047d7bd75b3043b032051332fbc4@google.com%3E>
to. I know that Apache says that if it isn't in email, it didn't happen, so
we also share
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-myriad-dev/201504.mbox/%3CCAK8jAgPQWFpK3r38xtECb-mzSQaO0iJ_NS9HLvSY-2adcoEZmg@mail.gmail.com%3E>
the meeting minutes in a publicly editable google doc. We've even had a
community member from China dial in (we're rescheduling to a little earlier
for his sake). We find it extremely helpful to get on a live call to
discuss updates, issues, and action items. Is there anything wrong with
that? I can think of a few things we can do to raise
awareness/visibility/transparency.
a. Try to record the hangouts (because notes don't capture everything)
b. Be more vocal announcing the meetings before and sharing the minutes
afterwards.
c. Start an (archived) IRC channel for round-the-clock real-time
interaction.
d. Schedule hangouts at multiple times, to support people in other time
zones.

2. We must wait for the ebay code donation before migrating. We were also
waiting for committer ICLAs to be submitted, so that we could give all the
initial committers the karma to actually commit to the Apache repo, but all
of those ICLAs have now been received. Next steps are to work on the
ip-clearance form and freeze the codebase to submit a git sha snapshot.

3. The Docker images are only supplementary to a "release" of Myriad, and
are not required for installing/using it. Official releases will be tagged
git shas with all the hoopla surrounding the announcement. We still haven't

BTW, I'm filling out the Monthly Report now. Should be ready for review
soon.

Re: May board report

Posted by Ken Sipe <ke...@mesosphere.io>.
Justin,